Israeli defence minister warns Turkey against ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria

Jerusalem: Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz on Thursday warned Turkey against “dangerous adventures” in Syria, as tensions escalated after Israel struck a Syrian airbase over alleged plans to deploy Turkish troops there.

Katz claimed in a social media post that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is dragging Turkey into these adventures, saying Israel “will not allow any actor to threaten its security.”

Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northwestern Syria on Tuesday, saying that Syria was preparing to allow Turkish forces to deploy at the facility, a move Israel viewed as threatening, Xinhua News Agency reported.

Turkey rejected the claim and accused Israel of violating Syria’s sovereignty. Syria also denied that a Turkish military buildup was planned at the base, saying Turkish officers had visited it as part of military training and cooperation.

Israel’s military chief Eyal Zamir toured southern Syria on Wednesday, the military said, a day after Israel carried out airstrikes on an airbase in northwestern Syria, citing what it said was the deployment of Turkish forces there.

“We will not allow hostile forces to establish themselves on our borders,” Zamir said during the visit. “We see what is happening and are monitoring the changes on the Syrian front.”

“We are still in a multi-front war, alert and operating in all arenas — escalation can develop in any one of them, and we must remain in constant readiness for that,” he added.

The military said Zamir held a security assessment with senior commanders and visited Israeli troops operating in what it calls a “security zone” in southern Syria.

Syria’s state-run Al-Ikhbariya TV reported, citing a military source, that Israeli warplanes carried out eight airstrikes early Tuesday on the runway of the Abu al-Duhur military airport in Idlib province in northwestern Syria, causing material damage but no casualties.

IANS

 

Israel’s Mossad chief holds rare call with Syrian Foreign Minister over Turkey military deployments: Report

Jerusalem:Israel's Mossad chief Roman Gofman held a phone call last week with Syrian foreign affairs chief Asaad Hassan al-Shibani about Turkey's military presence in Syria, the first such contact since...

Iran rejects UAE’s missile launch claim

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei on Wednesday rejected the United Arab Emirates' claim that Iran had launched a missile toward the country.   The denial came after the...

Kuwait envoy hails strong bilateral ties with India, expatriates’ role in communication

New Delhi:Kuwait’s ambassador to India, Mishal Mustafa Al-Shamali, reaffirmed the strength of ties between the two countries while attending Independence Day celebrations at the Presidential Palace here, a new report...

Trump orders halt to Iran talks: Report

Washington: US President Donald Trump on Tuesday (US local time) instructed his top envoys to halt their conversations with Iran, according to a CNN report, citing US officials.   Trump...

Canadian Hindu, civil groups urge Carney govt to allow RSS chief’s visit

Washington: More than 100 Canadian Hindu and civil liberties organisations have urged Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government to allow Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat to visit Canada, rejecting demands...

Qatar says regional efforts focus on reopening Hormuz Strait, reviving US-Iran MoU

Doha: Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed Al Ansari said Tuesday that ongoing regional efforts are focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz and returning to the US-Iran memorandum of understanding...

Araghchi warns of ‘false-flag ploys’ to sow discord between Iran, Iraq’s Kurdistan region

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi has warned about "false-flag ploys" to sow discord between Iran and Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.   He posted the warning on the social...

UN chief calls for resumption of Iran-US talks

United Nations: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres calls on Iran and the United States to resume negotiations toward a durable settlement to the conflict, his spokesman said.   Asked at a...

Trump says Iran unwilling to agree to deal he considers necessary

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that Tehran wants to reach an agreement with Washington but is unwilling to accept the kind of deal he considers necessary, as a 60-day...

Public health situation in Gaza, West Bank on brink of collapse: Palestinian envoy

New Delhi: Highlighting the miserable situation in the region, Palestinian Ambassador to India, Abdullah Abu Shawesh, said on Thursday that the health system in Gaza and the West Bank is...

Indian-American teen murders mother, brother in US home; searched ideas about killing family

Washington: A 17-year-old Indian-American boy in Acton, a town about 40 kilometres northwest of Boston, has been charged with murdering his mother and younger brother after investigators said he had...

Trump claims US has ‘total control’ of Hormuz

Washington: US President Donald Trump has said the United States has “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz and indicated that Washington intends to retain its hold over the strategic...

Read Previous

Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir elected Bangladesh’s 23rd President

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com