North Korea fires barrage of short-range ballistic missiles despite Trump overture

Seoul: North Korea fired a barrage of short-range ballistic missiles toward the East Sea on Thursday, despite a recent olive branch offered by US President Donald Trump, who signalled a willingness to reengage with the North’s leader Kim Jong-un.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it detected roughly a dozen short-range ballistic missiles launched from the Pyongyang area at around 5 pm, adding that further analysis is under way in cooperation with the United States.

The military has stepped up surveillance and vigilance for possible additional launches while closely sharing related information with the US and Japan as they maintain a full readiness posture, the JCS said.

“Under a staunch South Korea-US combined defence posture, our military is closely monitoring various North Korean activities as we maintain the capability and readiness to overwhelmingly respond to any provocation,” it added.

The latest missile launch came after Trump expressed his willingness to resume dialogue with Kim, whom he met three times during his first term in 2018 and 2019, when a flurry of nuclear diplomacy with Pyongyang was in full swing, Yonhap News Agency reported.

Nuclear talks have been dormant after their 2019 meeting in Hanoi ended without a deal.

Trump floated an overture on a social media post earlier this week, stating he had instructed the Pentagon to scale down military drills with South Korea that he sees as sending an “inappropriate and hostile” message to Pyongyang.

Seoul and Washington announced Wednesday they will cut short the ongoing Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise by half, ending the annual drills this Friday.

Pyongyang has strongly denounced the drills as rehearsals for invasion and typically responded with a series of weapons tests in protest.

In a White House press availability Wednesday (US time), Trump said he would meet Kim later this year, claiming that the recalcitrant state possesses “57 very powerful” nuclear weapons, a specific figure he has cited for the first time regarding the North’s nuclear stockpile.

Despite Trump’s olive branch, the North appears to have given Washington the cold shoulder. Kim Yo-jong, the powerful sister of the North’s leader, said in a statement late Wednesday that Pyongyang has no interest in the reduction of the allies’ military exercise, calling it “unworthy of comment.”

Following the launch, the presidential national security office said it convened a meeting attended by officials from the defence ministry and JCS to review South Korea’s response and assess the move’s impact on national security.

“With the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise currently underway, the office stressed the need to maintain a thorough readiness posture,” it said, urging Pyongyang to halt such provocations in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

The latest missile launch took place about a week after Pyongyang fired a short-range ballistic missile eastward on Aug. 12, following the launch of another short-range ballistic missile on Aug. 6.

IANS

Retired Colonel, wife held under ‘digital arrest’ lose Rs 15.50 lakh; Delhi Police nab 4

New Delhi: The Cyber Police Station of Delhi's South-West District has busted an interstate cyber-fraud facilitation network involved in sophisticated digital arrest scams and arrested four accused from Punjab and...

Preacher sentenced to death for sexually assaulting four minor girls in TN’s Tirunelveli

Tirunelveli: A special court in Tamil Nadu's Tirunelveli on Thursday sentenced a 50-year-old preacher to death after convicting him of sexually assaulting four minor girls who attended classes at a...

‘Matter between two nations’: J&K CM Omar Abdullah on US-Pakistan row over Sergio Gor’s remarks

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, commenting on Pakistan summoning the US envoy over US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor’s statement, said on Thursday that the ambassador had...

UNSC must not be used to legitimise terrorists by de-listing them: India

United Nations: In an implied criticism of Pakistan's role in dealing with terrorism, India has called for transparency in the Security Council listing and delisting groups as terrorist organisations, adding...

US lawmakers seek probe into California-China ties

Washington: Four Republican lawmakers have asked the Justice Department and the State Department to investigate California’s climate agreements with Chinese government-linked bodies, alleging that the state may have intruded on...

Tech leaders rally behind Trump’s crypto push

Washington: Leaders of major US technology, cryptocurrency and financial companies have backed President Donald Trump’s push for lighter regulation and clearer digital-asset rules, saying his policies were bringing investment and...

Pakistan: Social media content creator shot dead amid rising violence against women

London: A 28-year-old content creator with more than 1.3 million followers was shot dead by two men in Taxila, near Pakistan's capital Islamabad, highlighting yet again the growing violence against...

Manipur CM urges Meiteis to play role of ‘big brother’ to end ethnic conflict in state

Imphal: Manipur Chief Minister, Yumnam Khemchand Singh, on Wednesday said that the ethnic violence in the state, which initially erupted as a conflict between two communities, has now evolved into...

5 FBOs withdraw ‘100 pc’ claims following regulatory intervention: FSSAI

New Delhi: The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on Wednesday said that five food business operators (FBOs) have taken corrective action and withdrawn misleading “100 per cent”...

Second suspect in 2022 Nord Stream blast arrested: German prosecutors

Berlin: A second Ukrainian suspect has been arrested in Croatia in connection with the 2022 sabotage of the Nord Stream gas pipelines, Germany's Office of the Federal Prosecutor announced on...

‘Bhrashtachar ki Kitab, Delhi to Punjab’: Swati Maliwal attacks Kejriwal after Satyendar Jain’s arrest

New Delhi: BJP Rajya Sabha member Swati Maliwal on Wednesday launched a fresh and scathing attack on former Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, accusing him of running a "shop of...

‘Temples are built today, so that one could loot’, Renuka Chowdhury stirs ups row with Ram Mandir remark

New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Renuka Chowdhury sparked a major controversy with her remarks on Wednesday, alleging that temples are being built today with an intention to “loot”, a comment...

Read Previous

North Korea fires barrage of short-range ballistic missiles despite Trump overture

Read Next

India closes advertising technology gap with US adopting AI-native formats

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com