Iran’s weaponry, defence equipment production doubles in past 12 months: Tehran

Tokyo: Iran’s weaponry and defence equipment production has doubled over the past 12 months, a senior official has said.

In an interview with state-run IRIB TV on Friday evening (local time), Iranian Defence Ministry spokesman Reza Talaei-Nik said that since the beginning of the war in late February, the country’s production of certain strategic military products and equipment had increased more than threefold.

The increase was achieved despite the fact that limited parts of Iran’s defence industry sections were targeted during the 12-day war with Israel in June last year, said the official.

Becoming stronger is the only way to counter foreign powers seeking to attack Iran’s independence, he said.

On February 28, Israel and the United States launched joint attacks on Tehran and other Iranian cities, killing the country’s then-Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, military commanders and civilians. Iran responded with waves of missile and drone attacks targeting Israel as well as US bases and assets in the region, reports Xinhua news agency.

A ceasefire was achieved between the warring parties on April 8. On June 18, Iran and the United States signed an MoU on ending the war in the region on all fronts, including Lebanon.

Under the MoU, the two countries were scheduled to hold negotiations within 60 days, ending on August 17, to reach a final agreement. However, the two sides failed to make sufficient progress toward a deal as tensions continued to escalate.

Meanwhile, on Saturday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and his Iranian counterpart Seyed Abbas Araghchi held a phone call to discuss the latest regional developments and ongoing diplomatic efforts to de-escalate tensions.

The two ministers discussed efforts to create conditions for a return to diplomacy, including the implementation of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed between the United States and Iran on June 18, according to a statement from the Egyptian Foreign Ministry on Saturday (local time).

Abdelatty stressed the importance of intensifying ongoing diplomatic efforts to ease current escalations and reach peaceful understandings that would help restore security and stability in the region, reports Xinhua news agency.

He also underscored the importance of ensuring the freedom and safety of international navigation and respecting the security and stability of the Gulf states in a way that serves the interests of all peoples in the region.

Araghchi briefed Abdelatty on Iran’s assessment of recent developments, the course of negotiations, and the challenges facing them, according to the statement.

IANS

Egypt, Iran discuss efforts to resume diplomatic track for regional de-escalation

Cairo: Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and his Iranian counterpart Seyed Abbas Araghchi held a phone call to discuss the latest regional developments and ongoing diplomatic efforts to de-escalate tensions....

Broker’s chair sawed down to stool: Mecca Pact deals huge blow to China’s Middle East strategy

Cairo: The Mecca Joint Defence Agreement may validate China's rhetoric of multipolarity, but it also exposes the hollowness of its strategic substance. The post-American regional order Beijing advocated for the...

California adopts Diwali resolution, expresses ‘deepest respect’ for Indian Americans and Indian diaspora

Washington: California’s State Assembly has adopted a resolution recognising Diwali and expressing its “deepest respect” for Indian Americans and the Indian diaspora in the state and around the world.  ...

US Commerce Department finds Indian oleoresin paprika sold below fair value, received subsidies

Washington: The US Commerce Department has determined that Indian oleoresin paprika was sold in the United States below fair value and that its producers received countervailable government subsidies, moving the...

Pezeshkian says better to end war now as Iran in ‘position of strength’

Tehran: Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Friday that it is better to end the war now as Iran is in a position of "power and dignity." Pezeshkian made the...

Asian voters emerge as swing bloc in Texas

Washington: Asian-American voters could become a decisive constituency in Texas elections, with new polling indicating strong support for Democrat James Talarico but also revealing that many voters know little about...

Iran’s IRGC says more ‘devastating’ weapons to be used if new war begins

Tehran: Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has said the country will use more "devastating" weapons if a new war begins against it. Following the 12-day and 40-day wars imposed...

Israeli defence minister warns Turkey against ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria

Jerusalem: Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz on Thursday warned Turkey against "dangerous adventures" in Syria, as tensions escalated after Israel struck a Syrian airbase over alleged plans to deploy Turkish...

Israel’s Mossad chief holds rare call with Syrian Foreign Minister over Turkey military deployments: Report

Jerusalem:Israel's Mossad chief Roman Gofman held a phone call last week with Syrian foreign affairs chief Asaad Hassan al-Shibani about Turkey's military presence in Syria, the first such contact since...

Iran rejects UAE’s missile launch claim

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei on Wednesday rejected the United Arab Emirates' claim that Iran had launched a missile toward the country.   The denial came after the...

Kuwait envoy hails strong bilateral ties with India, expatriates’ role in communication

New Delhi:Kuwait’s ambassador to India, Mishal Mustafa Al-Shamali, reaffirmed the strength of ties between the two countries while attending Independence Day celebrations at the Presidential Palace here, a new report...

Trump orders halt to Iran talks: Report

Washington: US President Donald Trump on Tuesday (US local time) instructed his top envoys to halt their conversations with Iran, according to a CNN report, citing US officials.   Trump...

Read Previous

Shillong violence: Army, RAF conduct flag march as Assam-Meghalaya tensions persist

Read Next

Egypt, Iran discuss efforts to resume diplomatic track for regional de-escalation

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com