Iran’s IRGC says more ‘devastating’ weapons to be used if new war begins

Tehran: Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has said the country will use more “devastating” weapons if a new war begins against it.

Following the 12-day and 40-day wars imposed against the country in June last year and late February by the United States and Israel, Iran has expanded its military capabilities, IRGC spokesperson Hossein Mohebbi said in an interview with Iran’s Defa Press news agency, which was published on Thursday.

“If another war begins, our weapons will definitely be different … in terms of the generation of missiles’ warheads, as well as their precision and range,” Mohebbi said.

The spokesperson emphasised that Iran has never stopped its armaments production, adding, “The destructive power of the warheads used in the IRGC’s (new) missiles is far greater than the models used in the previous wars,” Xinhua News Agency reported.

On Monday, Mohebbi rejected US President Donald Trump’s claim that there is a backchannel for talks between Washington and the IRGC.

In an interview with the semi-official Tasnim news agency, Spokesperson Mohebbi called Trump’s claim a “delusion,” saying no dialogue is going on between the IRGC officials and the Americans.

Even Iran’s diplomatic apparatus is not currently negotiating with the United States owing to Washington’s “breach of promises,” Mohebbi added.

Separately, at Monday’s press conference, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei denied media reports of unofficial contact between Washington and the IRGC via Iraqi Kurdistan officials and an alleged secret US-Iran meeting in Erbil.

The news is “media techniques and psychological operations used to sow discord among Iran’s decision-making bodies,” Baghaei said.

Fox News reported earlier that Trump confirmed there is a backchannel for peace talks between Washington and the IRGC.

A ceasefire was reached between the warring parties on April 8. On June 18, Iran and the United States signed a memorandum of understanding on ending the war in the region on all fronts. However, hostilities between the two countries have repeatedly erupted since then.

IANS

 

Israeli defence minister warns Turkey against ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria

Jerusalem: Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz on Thursday warned Turkey against "dangerous adventures" in Syria, as tensions escalated after Israel struck a Syrian airbase over alleged plans to deploy Turkish...

Israel’s Mossad chief holds rare call with Syrian Foreign Minister over Turkey military deployments: Report

Jerusalem:Israel's Mossad chief Roman Gofman held a phone call last week with Syrian foreign affairs chief Asaad Hassan al-Shibani about Turkey's military presence in Syria, the first such contact since...

Iran rejects UAE’s missile launch claim

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei on Wednesday rejected the United Arab Emirates' claim that Iran had launched a missile toward the country.   The denial came after the...

Kuwait envoy hails strong bilateral ties with India, expatriates’ role in communication

New Delhi:Kuwait’s ambassador to India, Mishal Mustafa Al-Shamali, reaffirmed the strength of ties between the two countries while attending Independence Day celebrations at the Presidential Palace here, a new report...

Trump orders halt to Iran talks: Report

Washington: US President Donald Trump on Tuesday (US local time) instructed his top envoys to halt their conversations with Iran, according to a CNN report, citing US officials.   Trump...

Canadian Hindu, civil groups urge Carney govt to allow RSS chief’s visit

Washington: More than 100 Canadian Hindu and civil liberties organisations have urged Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government to allow Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat to visit Canada, rejecting demands...

Qatar says regional efforts focus on reopening Hormuz Strait, reviving US-Iran MoU

Doha: Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed Al Ansari said Tuesday that ongoing regional efforts are focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz and returning to the US-Iran memorandum of understanding...

Araghchi warns of ‘false-flag ploys’ to sow discord between Iran, Iraq’s Kurdistan region

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi has warned about "false-flag ploys" to sow discord between Iran and Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.   He posted the warning on the social...

UN chief calls for resumption of Iran-US talks

United Nations: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres calls on Iran and the United States to resume negotiations toward a durable settlement to the conflict, his spokesman said.   Asked at a...

Trump says Iran unwilling to agree to deal he considers necessary

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that Tehran wants to reach an agreement with Washington but is unwilling to accept the kind of deal he considers necessary, as a 60-day...

Public health situation in Gaza, West Bank on brink of collapse: Palestinian envoy

New Delhi: Highlighting the miserable situation in the region, Palestinian Ambassador to India, Abdullah Abu Shawesh, said on Thursday that the health system in Gaza and the West Bank is...

Indian-American teen murders mother, brother in US home; searched ideas about killing family

Washington: A 17-year-old Indian-American boy in Acton, a town about 40 kilometres northwest of Boston, has been charged with murdering his mother and younger brother after investigators said he had...

Read Previous

New J&K High Court bench to come up in Ladakh, announces HM Amit Shah

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com