Jharkhand exam cancellations spark fresh protests, selected candidates storm Secretariat campus

Ranchi: Protests by candidates who cleared recruitment examinations and employees affected by the cancellation of appointments intensified in Jharkhand following the state government’s decision to cancel several JPSC and JSSC examinations.

 

Since Monday evening, hundreds of successful candidates and employees whose jobs have been affected by the decision gathered outside the main gate of Project Bhawan, which houses the Jharkhand Secretariat, demanding that the government reconsider and withdraw the decision.

The situation became tense during the protest when a section of the candidates breached the security cordon, broke through barricades, and entered the Project Bhawan premises. The protesters raised slogans, including “Insaaf do ya phansi”, as they demanded justice from the state government.

Despite heavy rainfall, a large number of candidates and affected employees continued their protest outside Project Bhawan throughout the night. The protesters said the government’s decision has put their jobs, careers, and futures at risk.

The protesting candidates argued that if irregularities took place during the recruitment examinations, the specific cases should be investigated and those found responsible should face action.

However, they said cancelling entire recruitment processes and appointments made on the basis of those examinations was unfair to candidates who had cleared the selection process through legitimate means.

Several successful JSSC-CGL candidates participating in the demonstration said they had cleared the examination after years of preparation and hard work before receiving their appointments. Some protesters claimed that they had even resigned from jobs elsewhere to take up government employment in Jharkhand.

Now, following the government’s decision, they said they have once again been left without employment and are facing uncertainty about their future.

One of the protesters said: “Until yesterday, we were employees in the Secretariat; today, we are standing on the street. What is our fault? If someone committed wrongdoing, action should be taken against them, but why are our jobs being taken away?”

The protesters have urged the government to conduct a multi-level inquiry into the cases concerning their appointments and examine each candidate individually before taking any action against them.

“Terminating the appointment of a candidate, whose hiring was otherwise compliant with the rules, solely due to a dispute surrounding the examination is unfair,” another protester said.

Several affected assistants also narrated their experiences during the protest, explaining that they had spent years preparing for the examinations, appeared for the written tests and completed the interview process before finally receiving their appointment letters.

With their appointments now under threat, the affected employees said they are facing a serious financial crisis and are worried about how they will support their families.

The latest protest comes after a prolonged agitation by students, which led the state government to cancel several JPSC and JSSC examinations based on findings from a CID inquiry. The government has cancelled 22 examinations, suspended the process for six others, and ordered an investigation into irregularities concerning 17 examinations.

Additionally, a decision has been made to investigate and review appointments made since 2014. While students who had been protesting against alleged exam irregularities have hailed this government decision as a major victory, selected candidates and affected employees have begun to oppose it.

They argue that while those responsible for irregularities in the examinations should be punished, candidates selected through fair means should not have to pay the price. Security arrangements outside Project Bhawan have also been tightened.

A large police force has been deployed, and the situation is being closely monitored.

IANS

 

Manipur CM urges Meiteis to play role of ‘big brother’ to end ethnic conflict in state

Imphal: Manipur Chief Minister, Yumnam Khemchand Singh, on Wednesday said that the ethnic violence in the state, which initially erupted as a conflict between two communities, has now evolved into...

Trinamool MP Saugata Roy raises car attack matter at Kolkata airport with LS Speaker

Kolkata: A day after his car was attacked by protesters outside the Kolkata airport, Trinamool Congress MP Saugata Roy on Wednesday wrote a letter to the Lok Sabha Speaker Om...

Govt protecting big fish’: SP on clean chit to Champat Rai, Anil Mishra in Ram Temple donation theft

New Delhi: The Samajwadi Party on Tuesday strongly reacted to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) giving a clean chit to the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust's former General Secretary...

BJP appoints Vinod Tawde as UP in-charge, steps up preparations for 2027 Assembly polls

Lucknow: BJP National General Secretary Vinod Tawde was on Tuesday appointed as the party's in-charge for Uttar Pradesh, as the preparations for the crucial 2027 Assembly elections intensify. Additionally, Jagdish...

‘Hugging world leaders is not foreign policy’: Rahul Gandhi targets PM Modi

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Thursday mocked Prime Minister Narendra Modi's foreign policy, questioning what he described as an excessive focus on personal ties with world leaders.  ...

RS: Kharge flags ‘stage purification’ after Ramlila speech; Nadda assures probe

New Delhi: A heated exchange over an alleged “purification” of a Ramlila stage after Leader of Opposition Mallikarjun Kharge’s speech the other day in Haldwani (Uttarakhand) dominated the Rajya Sabha...

‘No space for Dalits in this country’: Kharge condemns ‘shuddhikaran havan’ in Haldwani

New Delhi: Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge on Thursday condemned the 'shuddhikaran havan' performed at Haldwani's Ramlila Maidan following his rally, alleging that the incident reflected discrimination against Dalits and efforts...

Lok Sabha adjourned sine die after Vande Mataram recitation

New Delhi: The Lok Sabha, on its last working day of the Monsoon Session, was adjourned sine die on Thursday. The adjournment followed the recitation of Vande Mataram in the...

Tamil Thaai Vazhthu to be sung first at all official events in Tamil Nadu

Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government has directed that Tamil Thaai Vazhthu, the official State song, must be rendered first at all government, public and educational functions across the State. A...

Messi deal: Pinarayi Vijayan’s ‘hands-off’ claim faces fresh test

Thiruvananthapuram: Former Chief Minister, Pinarayi Vijayan’s, claim of having little knowledge of the controversial Messi deal is facing fresh questions after official records revealed that his government had actively intervened...

Akhilesh Yadav alleges FCRA Bill aimed at targeting minorities; Opposition demands withdrawal

New Delhi: Samajwadi Party chief and MP, Akhilesh Yadav, on Wednesday alleged that the proposed amendments to the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) were aimed at targeting minorities and accused...

Don’t panic, don’t run away; listen to HM Shah’s reply: BJP sharpens attack on Rahul Gandhi

New Delhi: Amid the ongoing Parliament stand-off, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday launched a scathing critique of Rahul Gandhi and the Congress party, accusing them of holding the...

Read Previous

Trinamool MP Saugata Roy raises car attack matter at Kolkata airport with LS Speaker

Read Next

Manipur CM urges Meiteis to play role of ‘big brother’ to end ethnic conflict in state

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com