Trump cites India’s election system as model for stricter US voter ID rules

Washington: US President Donald Trump cited India’s electoral system as a model for the United States as he renewed his demand for stricter voter identification rules and urged Congress to pass the SAVE America Act.

 

Trump referred to a question he said India’s Chief Election Commissioner Gyanesh Kumar had recently put to his administration about the absence of a nationwide photo identification requirement in American elections.

“Earlier this month, India’s Chief Election Commissioner, Gyanesh Kumar, asked our Administration — How can you have Elections in the U.S. without a valid Photo ID?” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

The President highlighted the scale of India’s elections and its voter identification rules to bolster his case for changing US federal election procedures.

“India’s last Election had 646,000,000 Voters! Less than 1% voted by mail, and every single Voter had to have a VALID Photo Identity Document. We need to pass THE SAVE AMERICA ACT, now!” he said.

US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor endorsed Trump’s call. “President Donald J. Trump is absolutely correct! 646 MILLION voters, every single one required an ID in India’s last election. Congress should pass THE SAVE AMERICA ACT!” Gor said in a post on X.

The Republican-led House passed the revised legislation in February by a 218-213 vote, with one Democrat joining Republicans. An earlier version, called the SAVE Act, had passed the House in April but stalled in the Senate.

The legislation would require documentary proof of US citizenship before a person could register to vote in a federal election. It would also require voters to present valid photo identification at polling stations.

Acceptable citizenship documents would include a US passport, certain government identification cards, a birth certificate or a military identification card accompanied by a service record showing a US birthplace.

The Bill would also direct states to identify and remove non-citizens from voter rolls. It proposes using information from state agencies, the Social Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security.

Trump has separately called for mail-in voting to be limited to cases involving illness, disability, military service or travel.

Republicans say the measure is needed to strengthen election security and ensure that only citizens participate in federal elections. Non-citizens are already prohibited from voting in federal and state elections, and election experts say such voting is rare.

Democrats argue the legislation could prevent eligible citizens from voting, particularly low-income people and others who may have difficulty obtaining government-issued identification or citizenship documents. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer has said the measure would be “dead on arrival” in the Senate.

IANS

 

PoK unrest deepens as thousands join protest rallies against Pakistani forces

Islamabad: Thousands of people took part in protest rallies held in several parts of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) on Thursday, expressing full support to the Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC) and...

Fresh complaint filed against Abhishek Banerjee in Diamond Harbour over 2020 attack case

Kolkata: Another police complaint has been filed against Diamond Harbour Trinamool Congress Lok Sabha MP Abhishek Banerjee on Thursday.   Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Abhijit Das alias Bobby has...

Parliament: 12 bills passed; 19 pc productivity in LS, 39 pc in RS, says Kiren Rijiju

New Delhi: The Monsoon Session of Parliament, which concluded on Thursday, was successful in terms of legislative business but remained unsatisfactory in terms of productivity, Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kiren...

Hegseth urges allies to quit ICC; calls it fake, illegitimate international court

Washington: US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth has urged members of a Western Hemisphere security coalition to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC), accusing it of threatening national sovereignty...

UN report links November 2025 Red Fort blast to AQIS

Washington: A United Nations report has linked the November 2025 attack on Delhi’s Red Fort to Al-Qaida in the Indian Subcontinent (AQIS), warning that the group is developing into a...

US revokes over 600 visas in crackdown on birth tourism

Washington: The United States has revoked more than 600 visas from foreign nationals as part of a new campaign against birth tourism, the State Department said on Wednesday. The department...

Delhi court takes cognisance of CBI chargesheet in NEET-UG paper leak case

New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday took cognisance of the chargesheet filed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) against 13 accused in the alleged NEET-UG 2026 question paper...

About 2.4 million girls in Afghanistan remain excluded from secondary education: UNESCO

Kabul: Around 2.4 million girls in Afghanistan have been unable to access secondary education since 2021, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) said adding that the continued...

New Zealand PM survives caucus confidence vote, retains party leadership

Wellington: New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon has survived a caucus confidence vote on Wednesday and will remain leader of the governing National Party, after an hours-long caucus meeting in...

VP Radhakrishnan flags off Har Ghar Tiranga rally, calls Vande Mataram driving force in freedom struggle

New Delhi: Vice President C. P. Radhakrishnan on Wednesday flagged off the special Bike Rally from New Delhi's Bharat Mandapam, along with Members of Parliament, as part of the Har...

Mobile phone found in Prajwal Revanna’s barrack at B’luru Central Jail; Officer suspended

Bengaluru:A mobile phone was found in the barrack of former Hassan MP Prajwal Revanna, who is serving a life sentence at Bengaluru’s Parappana Agrahara Central Prison in connection with a...

Exam agency director arrested from Mumbai in 2022 JSSC junior engineer paper leak case

Ranchi: A Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the Ranchi police has arrested the director of the agency responsible for conducting the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) Junior Engineer (Diploma) Competitive...

Read Previous

Several injured after blast hits school in Afghanistan’s Kabul

Read Next

Trump says Iran unwilling to agree to deal he considers necessary

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com