SC’s stray dog order draws mixed reactions from animal activists, locals, lawyers

New Delhi: The Supreme Court’s refusal to recall its earlier directions on the management of stray dogs in public places, while issuing fresh directions for stricter implementation of the Animal Birth Control (ABC) framework across the country, has drawn mixed reactions from animal rights activists, dog lovers, advocates, and residents on Tuesday.

 

Animal rights activist Gauri Maulekhi described the order as balanced and said the court had given states flexibility in implementing measures according to local needs.

“I think that earlier the court had said to remove dogs from different places, but now, while keeping the situation under control, these decisions have largely been left to the states, so they can act as they find appropriate. The Supreme Court has also allowed the establishment of Animal Birth Control centres in every state. I would say it is a fairly balanced order. Now, it is necessary to have a large ABC centre in every area,” Maulekhi told IANS.

A dog lover said that the Supreme Court had effectively continued its earlier order in the matter.

“The update in the case filed in the Supreme Court by animal lovers and dog lovers is that today the Supreme Court has put a stay on the petition, and the earlier Supreme Court order in the matter will continue to remain in effect,” the person said.

Former Union Minister Vijay Goel welcomed the court’s directions and said his organisation had long been raising concerns related to stray dog attacks and public inconvenience.

“I welcome the Supreme Court’s order on the issue of stray dogs. Our organisation, Lok Abhiyan, has been working for several years on the problems faced by people due to stray dogs, and we have continuously raised this issue,” he said.

Residents of Greater Noida also reacted positively to the judgment.

One resident said: “It is a good judgment. There are many incidents of quarrels due to stray dogs. So, it is necessary to establish ABC centres.”

However, advocate Nanita Sharma criticised the ruling, saying it did not adequately address cruelty against animals.

“The judgment has not come out in a very balanced way. They have spoken a lot about humans, but they have not said much about animals. There is a lot of cruelty happening against animals as well. The Supreme Court has demanded action from states and Union Territories. The court has also allowed euthanasia. So, I think the order of November 8 has once again been repeated,” she said.

Advocate Vivek Sharma, meanwhile, termed the judgment a positive step by the judiciary.

“It is a very good step by the judiciary, and a very good judgment. The judgment has mainly been divided into three parts.”

The Supreme Court refused to recall its earlier directions on the management of stray dogs in public places, while issuing a series of fresh directions to ensure stricter implementation of the Animal Birth Control (ABC) framework across the country.

A bench of Justices Vikram Nath, Sandeep Mehta and N.V. Anjaria dismissed a batch of applications filed by dog lovers and animal rights groups seeking modifications to the directions issued by the apex court in November last year.

The directions mandated that stray dogs picked up from sensitive public places such as schools, hospitals, bus stands and railway stations must not be released back at the same locations after sterilisation and vaccination.

Pronouncing the judgment, the Justice Vikram Nath-led Bench stressed that the “right to life with dignity” includes the right to live without fear of dog attacks in public spaces, and pulled up authorities for failing to effectively address the growing menace of stray dog bites.

Referring to multiple reports of attacks, the top court observed that the issue has assumed “staggering dimensions” and reflects serious deficiencies in the implementation of existing directions and statutory rules.

The bench warned that erring officials who fail to comply with its directions would be liable for contempt of court and disciplinary action.

Issuing comprehensive directions, the Supreme Court ordered all states and Union Territories (UTs) to take time-bound steps to strengthen infrastructure under the ABC Rules. It mandated the establishment of at least one fully functional ABC centre in every district, equipped with surgical facilities, trained personnel and adequate logistics support.

Authorities have also been directed to expand the number of such centres based on population density and geographical requirements, and to undertake capacity-building measures, including training of staff, strengthening of shelters and coordinated vaccination drives.

The apex court also ordered that anti-rabies vaccines and immunoglobulin must be adequately available in all government medical facilities, along with a robust public health response mechanism to deal with dog bite cases.

Authorities were allowed to take legally permissible measures, including euthanasia, in cases involving rabid, incurably ill or demonstrably aggressive dogs, to effectively mitigate threats to human life.

IANS

 

AIIMS report supports suicide angle in Twisha Sharma case

Bhopal: The All India Institute of Medical Sciences Bhopal report on the belt recovered from the scene of Twisha Sharma’s death prima facie indicates suicide, corroborating preliminary findings, Assistant Commissioner...

Jodhpur sisters’ suicide case: NCW takes suo motu cognisance, seeks report from Rajasthan Police

New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Tuesday took suo motu cognisance of media reports related to the alleged prolonged gang rape, blackmail, sexual exploitation and subsequent suicides...

NEET-UG 2026 leak: CBI arrests Latur coaching institute’s owner as 10th accused

New Delhi: A Latur-based coaching institute’s director, Shivaraj Motegaonkar, was arrested by the CBI in the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, taking the total number of arrests in the case...

NEET-UG paper leak case: CBI arrests Maha coaching centre director; 10th arrest in ongoing probe

New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday arrested Shivraj Raghunath Motegaonkar, director of Maharashtra-based coaching centre, in connection with the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, taking the...

NEET paper leak probe reaches Maharashtra’s Nanded as CBI conducts marathon raids, interrogation

Nanded (Maharashtra): The probe into the NEET paper leak case has now expanded to Maharashtra’s Nanded district, as a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) team carried out surprise operations as...

India makes first-ever Captagon seizure worth Rs 182 crore under ‘Operation RAGEPILL’: HM Shah

New Delhi: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Saturday said enforcement agencies have made India’s first-ever seizure of Captagon, a banned synthetic stimulant, commonly referred to as the "Jihadi Drug",...

NEET paper leak case: Key accused’s MBBS daughter goes ‘missing’ as CBI closes in

  Jaipur: The NEET paper leak scandal in Rajasthan is beginning to resemble a full-blown crime thriller, with every new revelation exposing another layer of an alleged education mafia that...

NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case: CBI arrests two more accused, total held rises to seven

New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested two more accused in connection with the alleged NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, taking the total number of people arrested...

Red Fort bomb blast case: NIA files 7,500-page chargesheet against 10

  New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday filed a 7,500-page chargesheet against 10 accused in connection with the deadly car bomb explosion near the...

Woman gang-raped in moving bus in Delhi’s Nangloi; two arreste

  New Delhi: A woman was allegedly gang-raped inside a private bus in Delhi’s Nangloi area, Delhi Police said on Thursday, adding that a case has been registered based on...

‘We want probe into the matter’: SP MLA raises questions over Prateek Yadav’s death, seeks post-mortem report

Lucknow: Samajwadi Party MLA Ravidas Mehrotra on Wednesday raised questions over the circumstances surrounding the death of party founder Mulayam Singh Yadav's younger son Prateek Yadav, demanding a detailed probe...

CBI to take over Chandranath Rath murder case

Kolkata: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will take over the investigation into the Chandranath Rath assassination case, officials said on Tuesday.   A 7-member Special Investigation Team (SIT), headed...

Read Previous

‘Will return strongly’: Pinarayi Vijayan breaks silence amid growing revolt within CPM

Read Next

AIIMS report supports suicide angle in Twisha Sharma case

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com