President Trump has specific mission to accomplish, Iran war will not become endless: Hegseth

Washington: US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth on Tuesday sought to reassure Americans and allies that the ongoing military campaign against Iran would remain tightly limited, saying the operation had clearly defined objectives and would not turn into a prolonged war.

Speaking alongside Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Dan Caine at the Pentagon, Hegseth stressed that President Donald Trump had set a narrowly scoped mission for ‘Operation Epic Fury’ and that the administration was determined to avoid the type of open-ended conflicts seen in the past.

“This is not endless. It’s not protracted. We’re not allowing mission creep,” Hegseth said.

He added that the operation was designed to meet specific military goals rather than expand into a wider conflict.

“The President has said a very specific mission to accomplish,” he said. “Our job is to unrelentingly deliver that.”

The Defence Secretary said the ultimate decision on how long the operation continues rests with the President.

“He gets to control the throttle,” Hegseth said. “He’s the one deciding, he’s the one elected on behalf of the American people when we’re achieving those particular objectives.”

The Pentagon briefing came as the US campaign entered its tenth day, with officials saying American forces had already struck thousands of targets across Iran.

Caine said the military remained focused on three primary objectives: destroying Iranian missile and drone capabilities, weakening Iran’s navy, and striking deeper into its military-industrial infrastructure.

“The joint force remains focused on three military objectives,” Caine said.

He said US operations were aimed at preventing attacks on American forces and partners across the region.

“This means attacking launch sites, command and control nodes, and stockpiles before they can threaten our personnel, our facilities, and our partners,” he said.

Caine added that strikes had already significantly reduced Iran’s ability to launch attacks.

Hegseth argued that the campaign was fundamentally different from earlier US wars in the Middle East.

“You see, this is not 2003,” he said. “This is not endless nation-building under those types of quagmires.”

He added that American forces were executing the mission with overwhelming strength.

“We’re winning decisively with brutal efficiency, total air dominance, and an unbreakable will to accomplish the President’s objectives,” Hegseth said.

At the same time, the Defence Secretary acknowledged Americans’ concerns about the risk of a prolonged war.

“I understand those concerns because I’ve heard from a lot of people who went through it. I went through 20 years of those wars myself,” he said.

He said the administration’s focus remained on preventing Iran from gaining nuclear weapons and neutralizing its ability to threaten the United States and its partners.

“We won’t live under a nuclear blackmail scenario of conventional missiles that can target our people,” Hegseth said.

The conflict intensified after the launch of ‘Operation Epic Fury’, a US-led military campaign targetting Iranian missile, drone, and naval capabilities across the region.

IANS

 

Voter deletions during SIR affected results in 31 Bengal seats, Trinamool tells SC

New Delhi: The Trinamool Congress on Monday told the Supreme Court that the Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls in West Bengal had materially affected the outcome of Assembly...

Iran’s draft proposal for US talks; demands ending war, removing sanctions, lifting naval blockade

Tehran: Iran's latest draft proposal for talks with the United States calls for an immediate cessation of conflict on all fronts, a guarantee for no more "aggression" against Iran, and...

Trump rejects Iran’s response to new US proposal

Washington: US President Donald Trump sharply rejected Iran’s response to a new US proposal aimed at ending the conflict in the Gulf region, calling Tehran’s position “TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE” as tensions...

‘Afforestation argument bogus’: Congress seeks access to green panel report on Great Nicobar project

New Delhi: The Congress on Sunday once again opposed the Great Nicobar Island development project, calling the compensatory afforestation argument "bogus" and seeking access to the report of a High-Powered...

Vijay announces 200 units of free electricity after taking oath as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister

Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay on Sunday announced 200 units of free electricity and the formation of the "SingaPen" Special Task Force as among the first major...

Vijay sworn in as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, ends six-decade Dravidian parties dominance

Chennai: Actor-cum-Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) President C. Joseph Vijay was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on Sunday, marking a historic political shift in the state, which...

Son of the soil Adhikari takes oath as first BJP Chief Minister of Bengal; five other ministers sworn in

  Kolkata: Suvendu Adhikari on Saturday took oath as the Chief Minister of the first BJP-ruled West Bengal government, along with four other members of the state Council of Ministers...

Indian seafarer killed after ship catches fire, sinks near Strait of Hormuz

Dubai/New Delhi:An Indian seafarer lost his life while four others sustained burn injuries after a wooden dhow carrying 18 Indian crew members capsized near the Strait of Hormuz following a...

Pentagon releases alien files with ‘four-foot’ beings, unexplained aerial sightings

  New Delh:  Large cache of previously classified files on unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAPs) has been released by the US Pentagon, which revealed decades of unexplained aerial sightings reported by...

UAE claims three injured in fresh missile and drone attacks launched from Iran

Abu Dhabi: The Ministry of Defence of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) stated on Friday that Iran has once again launched ballistic missiles and UAV’s on its territory. Condemning the...

US, Iran clash again while US says no intention of escalation

Tehran: Iran's main military command, Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters has said that the US army attacked two Iranian vessels near the Strait of Hormuz and concurrently carried out airstrikes on...

US court strikes down Trump’s tariff move

Washington: A US federal trade court struck down President Donald Trump’s latest global tariff move, ruling that the administration exceeded its authority under a 1974 trade law while trying to...

Read Previous

SC grants anticipatory bail to Neha Singh Rathore over objectionable posts on PM Modi, Pahalgam attack

Read Next

Pawan Kalyan-starrer ‘Ustaad Bhagat Singh’ cleared for release with U/A certificate!

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com