‘Political manoeuver’ with no legal basis, says Cuban President on US indictment of Raul Castro

Havana: The charges by the US government against Cuban Revolution leader Raul Castro are a “political manoeuver” with no legal basis whatsoever, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has said.

 

Diaz-Canel said on X on Wednesday (local time) that the charges “only reveal the arrogance and frustration of the empire’s representatives in the face of the unwavering resolve of the Cuban Revolution and the unity and moral strength of its leadership.”

Earlier on Wednesday, a grand jury from the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida indicted Raul Castro for his alleged role in ordering the downing of two planes operated by a Cuban exile group in the United States named “Brothers to the Rescue” in 1996.

Diaz-Canel said the indictment is intended “solely to enlarge the file they are fabricating to justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba.”

Washington “is lying and manipulating the events surrounding the downing of the small planes belonging to the narco-terrorist organization Brothers to the Rescue,” he said.

The president recounted what happened on February 24, 1996, saying Cuba acted “in legitimate self-defence” within its territorial waters after members of the Miami-based group repeatedly violated the island country’s airspace, reports Xinhua news agency.

Cuba issued more than a dozen warnings about the violations, “but (the US government) ignored the warnings and allowed the violations to continue,” he said, adding that “documentary evidence” demonstrated that Cuba did not act “recklessly” or violate international law.

Castro, “as a guerrilla leader and statesman, won the love of his people, in addition to the respect and admiration of other leaders in the region and the world. These values are his best defence and a moral shield against the ridiculous attempt to diminish his stature as a hero,” Diaz-Canel said.

Castro, 94, served as Cuba’s minister of the Revolutionary Armed Forces at the time of the incident.

IANS

One civilian killed every 14 minutes in armed conflicts worldwide in 2025: UN

United Nations: One civilian was killed every 14 minutes in armed conflicts around the world last year, the chief of the UN global humanitarian response unit has said.   Edem...

India criticises record-keeping of negotiations for UNSC reforms

United Nations: India has criticised the record-keeping of the negotiations for Security Council reforms, pointing out that the document from the last meeting obfuscated the extent of support for expansion...

Even my son raised questions, says CPI(M)’s Govindan on mounting criticism after Kerala poll defeat

Thiruvananthapuram: For perhaps the first time in recent Kerala political history, the once tightly controlled inner circles of the CPI(M) have turned into arenas of open anger, frustration and brutal...

‘Will return strongly’: Pinarayi Vijayan breaks silence amid growing revolt within CPM

Thiruvananthapuram: For the first time since the stunning electoral collapse of the Left Democratic Front in the Kerala Assembly elections, former Chief Minister and now Opposition leader Pinarayi Vijayan has...

Decarbonisation of buildings, construction sector slowed, says UN report on climate impact

New Delhi: Decarbonisation of the buildings and construction sector has slowed, leaving it both a major emissions source and increasingly vulnerable to climate impacts and energy price shocks, a new...

Reports by ignorant NGOs: India rebuts Norwegian journalist’s question on press freedom, human rights

Oslo: India strongly pushed back against questions raised by a Norwegian journalist on press freedom and human rights, stating that Delhi guarantees fundamental rights to all citizens and also provides...

Vance links US factory revival to China challenge

Washington: US Vice President JD Vance said the Trump administration was rebuilding American manufacturing after decades of industrial decline, arguing that Washington had finally begun prioritising domestic workers and reducing...

Compromising with the Constitution, secularism is not in national interest: Mayawati advises govts over Bengal violence

Lucknow: Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati on Monday advised both the Centre and state governments to safeguard the country’s secular identity, uphold the dignity of the Constitution, and act firmly...

AI-driven cybersecurity threats biggest risk to market integrity: SEBI chief

Mumbai: Securities and Exchange Board of India chairman Tuhin Kanta Pandey has described artificial intelligence-driven cybersecurity threats as one of the most significant risks facing India’s financial markets, calling for...

NCP supremacy tussle: Sunetra Pawar caught between ‘Young Turks’ and ‘Old Guard’

Mumbai: The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has plunged into a quiet but fierce battle for institutional supremacy. At the absolute centre of this storm is Maharashtra’s first woman Deputy Chief...

India, Netherlands deepen tech partnership with major push in semiconductors, AI and research

New Delhi: India and the Netherlands have unveiled an ambitious roadmap to deepen cooperation in emerging technologies, innovation, science and higher education, with semiconductors emerging as the centerpiece of the...

PM Modi, Dutch counterpart Jetten discuss Strait of Hormuz closure, urge for end of West Asia conflict

The Hague: As Prime Minister Modi on Saturday decided to further elevate the bilateral relationship with the Netherlands to a "Strategic Partnership", the Dutch counterpart Rob Jetten said that in...

Read Previous

Trump says Iran talks ‘in final stages’ as US waits for ‘right answer’

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com