President Trump has specific mission to accomplish, Iran war will not become endless: Hegseth

Washington: US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth on Tuesday sought to reassure Americans and allies that the ongoing military campaign against Iran would remain tightly limited, saying the operation had clearly defined objectives and would not turn into a prolonged war.

Speaking alongside Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Dan Caine at the Pentagon, Hegseth stressed that President Donald Trump had set a narrowly scoped mission for ‘Operation Epic Fury’ and that the administration was determined to avoid the type of open-ended conflicts seen in the past.

“This is not endless. It’s not protracted. We’re not allowing mission creep,” Hegseth said.

He added that the operation was designed to meet specific military goals rather than expand into a wider conflict.

“The President has said a very specific mission to accomplish,” he said. “Our job is to unrelentingly deliver that.”

The Defence Secretary said the ultimate decision on how long the operation continues rests with the President.

“He gets to control the throttle,” Hegseth said. “He’s the one deciding, he’s the one elected on behalf of the American people when we’re achieving those particular objectives.”

The Pentagon briefing came as the US campaign entered its tenth day, with officials saying American forces had already struck thousands of targets across Iran.

Caine said the military remained focused on three primary objectives: destroying Iranian missile and drone capabilities, weakening Iran’s navy, and striking deeper into its military-industrial infrastructure.

“The joint force remains focused on three military objectives,” Caine said.

He said US operations were aimed at preventing attacks on American forces and partners across the region.

“This means attacking launch sites, command and control nodes, and stockpiles before they can threaten our personnel, our facilities, and our partners,” he said.

Caine added that strikes had already significantly reduced Iran’s ability to launch attacks.

Hegseth argued that the campaign was fundamentally different from earlier US wars in the Middle East.

“You see, this is not 2003,” he said. “This is not endless nation-building under those types of quagmires.”

He added that American forces were executing the mission with overwhelming strength.

“We’re winning decisively with brutal efficiency, total air dominance, and an unbreakable will to accomplish the President’s objectives,” Hegseth said.

At the same time, the Defence Secretary acknowledged Americans’ concerns about the risk of a prolonged war.

“I understand those concerns because I’ve heard from a lot of people who went through it. I went through 20 years of those wars myself,” he said.

He said the administration’s focus remained on preventing Iran from gaining nuclear weapons and neutralizing its ability to threaten the United States and its partners.

“We won’t live under a nuclear blackmail scenario of conventional missiles that can target our people,” Hegseth said.

The conflict intensified after the launch of ‘Operation Epic Fury’, a US-led military campaign targetting Iranian missile, drone, and naval capabilities across the region.

IANS

 

24 killed in blast targeting Jaffar Express shuttle in Pakistan’s Balochistan

Quetta: At least 24 people were killed and 82 others injured in a blast targeting a shuttle of the Jaffar Express in the country's southwest Balochistan province on Sunday, police...

France bans Israeli minister Ben-Gvir from entering country

Paris: French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot has said that Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir had been banned from entering France effective immediately. In a post on social platform X,...

Iran says Tehran, Washington working to finalise MoU on ending war

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran and the United States are working to finalise a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on ending the war. "At this stage, our...

Western nations release joint statement, warn Israel about policies and further entrenchment in West Bank

London: A joint statement was released by nine Western countries -- The UK, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Norway and the Netherlands on the serious situation in Israel's...

Trump administration preparing fresh round of military strikes on Iran: US media

Washington: The Trump administration is preparing for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran despite ongoing diplomatic efforts, US media reported, citing sources with direct knowledge of the planning....

In-principle understanding reached with Centre, say Ladakh groups

New Delhi: The Centre has proposed a fresh framework aimed at granting Ladakh greater legislative, financial and administrative authority within the existing Union Territory structure, according to a joint statement...

Tharoor defends ‘Cockroach Janta Party’ satire, warns against suppressing youth dissent

  New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Shashi Tharoor on Friday defended the controversial “Cockroach Janta Party” (CJP), asserting that claims portraying the movement as a Pakistani-manufactured conspiracy were “too simplistic”...

ECI announces Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats in 10 states on June 18

  New Delhi: The Election Commission of India (ECI) on Friday announced the schedule for the biennial elections to the Rajya Sabha to fill 24 seats, which are falling vacant...

Pulwama plotter Hamza Burhan shot dead by unknown gunmen in PoK

New Delhi: Hamza Burhan, one of the key planners behind the Pulwama attack, was killed by unknown gunmen in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). The incident took place at Muzaffarabad in PoK,...

TN cabinet expansion: 23 ministers inducted; two from Congress take oath

Chennai: The C. Joseph Vijay-led Tamil Nadu government on Thursday carried out its first major Cabinet expansion, inducting 23 new ministers into the Council of Ministers in a move aimed...

India and Italy have elevated ties to Special Strategic Partnership, PM Modi announces in Rome

Rome: Announcing the elevation of India-Italy ties to a 'Special Strategic Partnership', Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday said that India-Italy Joint Strategic Action Plan 2025-2029 provides a practical and...

Trump says US was an hour away from striking Iran, action paused after allies’ appeal

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that the United States was “an hour away” from launching military action against Iran before regional partners urged him to pause, as he defended...

Read Previous

SC grants anticipatory bail to Neha Singh Rathore over objectionable posts on PM Modi, Pahalgam attack

Read Next

Pawan Kalyan-starrer ‘Ustaad Bhagat Singh’ cleared for release with U/A certificate!

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com