Trump declares Venezuela airspace closed after threatening land action

New York: Days after reportedly speaking directly with Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro, US President Donald Trump has ramped up his campaign against the country, declaring the airspace closed, signaling possible military action.

In a terse Truth Social Post on Saturday afternoon, he said, “… please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY”.

Besides airlines and pilots, he directed the warning to “Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers”, linking possible action to his campaign against illegal migration and his war on drugs.

For weeks, the US has been bombing on high seas vessels suspected of carrying drugs, hitting more than 20 from the air and killing over 80 people.

On Thursday, he said, “We’ll be starting to stop them by land”.

“Also, the land (action) is easier, but that’s going to start very soon”, he added in his Thanksgiving Day message to the military.

Venezuela said Trump’s declaration that its airspace is closed reeked of colonialism and was “hostile and unjustified”.

The region is swarming with US Navy ships led by the aircraft carrier USS Gerald Ford, and 15,000 military personnel have been deployed there.

The New York Times, quoting anonymous sources, reported that Trump and Maduro had spoken by phone and discussed a direct meeting, among other matters.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who is among the hawks on Maduro’s rule, was also on the call, the newspaper said.

Neither the White House nor Venezuela has confirmed the talks.

Media reports earlier said Maduro had offered the US access to its oil riches and other concessions, but insisted he should be allowed to retain power for 2 years – a condition Trump is unlikely to agree to.

Last week, the US designated a drug outfit, Cartel de los Soles, as a foreign terrorist organisation, and alleged that MAduro was its head.

This would allow Trump to claim that any action against Maduro and Venezuela was an anti-drug action, and, therefore, technically not a war.

Nor would it go against his earlier statements against foreign wars and regime change, and he probably hopes he would not be seen as a warmonger, endangering his claims to a Nobel Prize.

Trump could then say that he would not need the legally mandated Congressional approval required for a war.

Democratic Party leader in the Senate, Chuck Schumer, reminded him, “Under our Constitution, Congress has the sole power to declare war — not the president”.

“President Trump’s reckless actions towards Venezuela are pushing America closer and closer to another costly foreign war”, he added.

–IANS

 

Politics now ‘trumps’ economics; govt pushing trade pacts, ‘Make in India’: EAM Jaishankar

  Kolkata: External Affairs Minister (EAM) S. Jaishankar on Saturday said that in the present era, "politics increasingly trumps economics". He made the remarks after being conferred an Honorary Doctorate...

NC Working Committee passes resolutions for restoration of special status & statehood to J&K

  Srinagar: J&K’s ruling National Conference (NC) on Friday passed seven resolutions unanimously, including the party’s reaffirmation of commitment for special status, restoration of statehood, and condemnation of the Delhi...

Calcutta HC seeks CAG explanation for delay in report on alleged Rs 1,000 crore flood-relief irregularities

Kolkata;  The Calcutta High Court has sought an explanation from the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) over the delay in filing its final probe report on alleged irregularities...

Sexual assault case: Suspended Cong MLA Mamkootathil ‘on the run’ after registration of FIR

  Thiruvananthapuram: The sexual assault case against suspended Congress MLA Rahul Mamkootathil has taken a serious turn, with chilling details emerging from the complainant's confidential statement to police. The young...

Regrettable statement: Ramaphosa on Trump vowing not to invite South Africa to 2026 G20 Summi

Johannesburg: South Africa on Thursday termed US President Donald Trump's statement of not inviting the African nation to attend the next year's Group of 20 (G20) Summit in Miami as...

No govt interference in judiciary’s decisions, says former CJI Gavai

  New Delhi: Former Chief Justice of India (CJI) B.R. Gavai on Thursday in an exclusive chat with IANS asserted that there is no government interference in the functioning or...

South Korean President warns of risks of ‘accidental clash’ with North Korea, vows efforts to resume dialogue

  Ankara:  South Korean President Lee Jae Myung has warned risks of accidental clashes with North Korea, saying Seoul must continue to make efforts with patience to resume dialogue with...

He-Man of Bollywood Dharmendra passes away aged 89

    Mumbai:  Veteran Bollywood star Dharmendra, aged 89, has passed away. Sources close to IANS confirmed the news. The octogenarian on November 12 had got discharged from Breach Candy...

Three killed as gunmen storm Pakistan’s paramilitary force headquarters in Peshawar

  Peshawar (Pakistan):  Unidentified gunmen launched a coordinated attack on the Pakistan Frontier Constabulary (FC) Headquarters on Saddar Main Road in Peshawar on Monday, triggering two explosions in quick succession...

Delhi chokes under rising pollution as AQI nears 400 across NCR

New Delhi: A thin layer of pollution was seen over the national Capital, with the Air Quality Index (AQI) touching 396 on Monday, firmly in the 'very poor' category. However,...

No place for any double standards in fight against terrorism, says PM Modi at IBSA meet

Johannesburg: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday emphasised the need for close coordination between India, South Africa and Brazil in the fight against terrorism and said that there is no...

Akali Dal calls meeting for decisive response against Constitution (131st Amendment) Bill

Chandigarh: The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), once one of the oldest allies of the BJP, on Sunday announced to call an emergency meeting of party's core committee to plan and...

Read Previous

Cyclone Ditwah havoc pushes Sri Lanka’s death toll to 153; over 190 still missing

Read Next

Delhi-NCR struggles with pollution as AQI slips into ‘poor’ category

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com