Suspected bandits kill 33 in northwest Nigeria: Police

Abuja: At least 33 people were killed when a group of suspected bandits attacked a district in Nigeria’s northwestern state of Kebbi, police said on Friday.

 

Bashir Usman, police spokesperson in Kebbi, said in a statement that the bandits, suspected to be members of Lakurawa, a militant group operating in the northern part of the country, attacked Bui District in Arewa Local Government Area on Wednesday.

 

The armed men invaded the district with the intent to rustle cattle, Usman said, citing preliminary investigations, Xinhua news agency reported. The assailants were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area in the neighbouring Sokoto State.

 

Some locals from surrounding communities mobilised in response to the invasion, he said, adding that “in the ensuing confrontation, 33 persons lost their lives.”

 

The police spokesperson said all security agencies, including the military, have intensified patrols in the affected communities, with additional personnel and operational assets deployed to restore normalcy and prevent further attacks.

 

Meanwhile, the Nigerian government has ordered an investigation into an explosion Wednesday at a lead mining site in the central Plateau State that killed at least 38 people and injured 25 others.

 

The site, operated by Solid Mining Company in the Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area, has been sealed off.

 

Minister of Solid Minerals Development Dele Alake ordered the probe late Wednesday, noting that the victims were exposed to gaseous emissions while allegedly mining at the underground mining site.

 

The closure of the mining site was “necessary to contain the situation and conduct investigations,” Alake said, adding that a team of officials and investigators had been dispatched to probe the remote and immediate causes of the incident and to recommend sanctions.

 

The team also includes experts in mining, environmental compliance, and artisanal cooperatives, he said.

 

“The actions were taken as preliminary reports indicated that the company ceded the pit where the incident took place to the community to mine following agitations by villagers for empowerment,” the minister said.

 

The area was an abandoned lead site with the stored mineral prone to emissions of sulphuric oxide, he added.

 

Unaware of the poisonous nature of the emissions, the villagers reportedly engaged in extraction while inhaling the gaseous substance, he said.

 

IANS

 

India attended Board of Peace meeting as an observer: MEA

New Delhi: The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Friday stated that India attended the Board of Peace's first meeting in Washington on Thursday as an observer country and continues...

India joining ‘Pax Silica’ will shape 21st century order: US Envoy Sergio Gor

New Delhi: India on Friday formally joined Pax Silica, a US-led initiative to bring together an initial group of countries closely tied to semiconductor manufacturing and advanced technology supply chains,...

Iran warns of ‘decisive’ response if subjected to military aggression

United Nations: Iran will respond "decisively and proportionately" to any military aggression, exercising its right to self-defence under the UN Charter, its UN ambassador Amir Saeid Iravani said in a...

Stone pelting during Shivaji Jayanti procession in Karnataka’s Bagalkot; 8 arrested

Bagalkot: Karnataka police on Friday arrested eight persons in connection with the stone-pelting incident during the Shivaji Jayanti procession in Bagalkot city. Tension continued in the city amid additional security...

‘Very happy about fantastic partnership’: US Ambassador on India joining Pax Silica declaration

New Delhi: Amidst the global spotlight on the ongoing AI Impact Summit at Bharat Mandapam, India, on Friday, formally joined the Pax Silica declaration. US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor,...

Bangladesh: Around 68 per cent pressed ‘yes’ in favour of July Charter Referendum, confirms EC

Dhaka: Around 68 per cent of people pressed the 'yes' option as Bangladesh held the July Charter referendum alongside the 13th Parliamentary elections, local media reported on Friday citing an...

PM Modi speaks with Tarique Rehman after BNP’s triumph in Bangladesh elections

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday held a telephonic conversation with Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chairman Tarique Rehman, congratulating him on his party's triumph in the Bangladesh elections....

Bangladesh: Jamaat warns of stronger movement over alleged poll manipulation

Dhaka: Bangladesh’s radical Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami on Friday warned that it would launch a strong movement if citizens’ opinions and voting rights were “manipulated” through any form of conspiracy, local...

Democratic, inclusive Bangladesh will always be supported: Kharge congratulates Tarique Rahman

New Delhi:Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge on Friday congratulated the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its chairperson, Tarique Rahman on their landmark win in the Bangladesh parliamentary elections. Taking to the...

‘Look forward to working with you’: PM Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman on BNP’s win in Bangladesh elections

New Delhi:Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday extended warm congratulations to Tarique Rahman for leading his party, the BNP, to a decisive victory in Bangladesh's parliamentary elections. Taking to the...

Bangladesh elections: Violence erupts at several polling booths, BNP leader killed

Dhaka: Violence erupted at several polling booths across Bangladesh on Thursday, leading to the death of a political leader as the voting was underway across the nation, local media reported....

Bangladesh elections: MEA says will wait for outcome to see what sort of mandate comes out

New Delhi: As people of Bangladesh voted in the country's 13th parliamentary election, India on Thursday stressed that it would wait for the results before making any assessment of the...

Read Previous

India attended Board of Peace meeting as an observer: MEA

Read Next

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump global tariffs, says they are unlawful

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com