Renshaw to open for second Test against Bangladesh, Lyon holds spot in XI

Mackay: Australia captain Pat Cummins has confirmed recalled batter Matthew Renshaw will open in his return to the Test arena for the second Test against Bangladesh in Mackay while veteran spinner Nathan Lyon has kept his spot in Australia’s XI for the second Test after the skipper said an all-pace attack was under consideration in a bid to level the series in Mackay.

In the pre-match press conference, Cummins confirmed that Renshaw would make his Test comeback at the top of the order but initially did not announce the full side for the second Test, saying they wanted to give the pitch another day before making a decision at a venue hosting its first Test match.

This will be Renshaw’s 15th appearance at Test level first in more than three years, with the 30-year-old’s last Test cap coming in Delhi against India back in 2023 when he came in as a concussion substitute for regular opener David Warner.

He has since featured for Australia in both ODI and T20I cricket but wins a recall to the Test arena following a disappointing performance from the Aussies’ top-order in the first Test against Bangladesh.

After Australia incurred a shocking nine-wicket loss to Bangladesh in the first Test of their two-match series in Darwin, Australia dropped Jake Weatherald and recalled left-hander Renshaw as his replacement. Marnus Labuschagne and Beau Webster look likely to hold their spots in the XI.

Moreover, Australia were considering leaving Nathan Lyon out for the second Test against Bangladesh. Lyon picked up just one wicket during the opening Test against Bangladesh in Darwin, though the 38-year-old has never been dropped for a red-ball Test when fully fit under the captaincy reign of Cummins.

“Trying to give it another day to see whether it’s four quicks or a spinner,” Cummins told reporters earleir. “It’s largely conditions-based. If you think there’s a good chance in that first or second first bowling innings (that) you’re going to take 10 wickets mainly with the quicks relatively quickly, and then perhaps the fourth innings isn’t going to break up.

“That’s a lot of the decision. Then probably related to that is having someone like Scotty Boland on the bench, who obviously is very class. I think that’s why the conversation always comes up,” he said.

But the Aussies have resisted the temptation to leave out the veteran spinner for the second Test, as selectors convened pitch-side shortly after Cummins spoke and confirmed Lyon had held his spot, while announcing the playing XI.

The Aussies twice played an all-seam attack for pink-ball Tests last year, but the last time they left Lyon out of their XI when fit for a red-ball Test was 14 years ago at the WACA Ground in 2012.

Great Barrier Reef Arena curator Peter Kazakoff said, “Spinners have had a big say later in the match, but obviously that’s not my call. Obviously, those first class games were a bit later in the year when it was a bit warmer. It’s a lot cooler this time of year, so the moisture will come out of the wicket less and less slower.”

Australia XI for second Test: Matthew Renshaw, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Beau Webster, Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood

IANS

UPT20: Yuvraj Singh stars with 91 as Kashi Rudras seal thrilling win against Kanpur Superstars

Lucknow:Sahab Yuvraj Singh starred with a brilliant 91-run knock as defending champions Kashi Rudras hold their nerve to clinch a thrilling seven-run win over Kanpur Superstars in UP T20 League...

Badminton WC: Ayush Shetty bows out after Farhan withstands late fightback in Round of 16

New Delhi: Ayush Shetty’s impressive run at the BWF World Championships came to an end in the men’s singles Round of 16 on Thursday, with Indonesia’s Alwi Farhan holding his...

BWF World C’ships: Treesa-Gayatri upset seventh seeds to move into Pre-QF

New Delhi: Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand continued their stunning run at the BWF World Championships on Thursday, knocking out seventh seeds Rin Iwanaga and Kie Nakanishi of Japan 21-16,...

DPL 2026: Badoni’s 90, late heroics help South Delhi Superstarz defeat North Delhi Strikers by four wickets

New Delhi: South Delhi Superstarz registered a thrilling four-wicket win over North Delhi Strikers in their Delhi Premier League (DPL) 2026 match at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in New Delhi...

BWF World C’ships: Satwik-Chirag move into Pre-QF after Scottish pair withdraws

New Delhi: India’s top men’s doubles pair Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty’s BWF World Championships campaign got underway without the fifth seeds having to step onto court, after Scotland’s Alexander...

FIH Hockey WC: India-Pakistan rivalry takes centre stage SF spot beckons

Amstelveen: Few contests in world hockey carry the weight, history and emotion of an India-Pakistan encounter; and when the two arch-rivals meet at the FIH Hockey World Cup 2026 on...

FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticism of Infantino’s sell-off plan

New Delhi: FIFA has reportedly sacked its chief operating officer Kevin Lamour after he criticised president Gianni Infantino's plan to sell stakes in the World Cup to investors.    ...

India tops overall medal tally to lift Wilkinson Sword Trophy at Commonwealth Fencing C’ship

Lagos (Nigeria): The Indian fencing contingent created history by winning the overall championship title at the Commonwealth Fencing Championship 2026. Team India completed a spectacular four-day campaign with an unprecedented...

Sarthak, Vaibhav power North Delhi Strikers to 8-wicket win over West Delhi Lions

New Delhi: North Delhi Strikers produced a dominant performance to beat West Delhi Lions by eight wickets in the Delhi Premier League (DPL) 2026 at the Arun Jaitley Stadium. Batting...

Jonty Rhodes, John Abraham unveil Rotterdam Dockers jersey ahead of inaugural ETPL

Mumbai: Rotterdam Dockers on Tuesday unveiled their official jersey ahead of the inaugural European T20 Premier League (ETPL), with co-owners Jonty Rhodes and actor John Abraham attending the event in...

‘FIFA would be making a terrible mistake’: Trump backs Infantino amid growing opposition

Washington:US President Donald Trump has thrown his weight behind FIFA president Gianni Infantino, warning that football’s world governing body would make a 'terrible mistake' if it considered replacing the Swiss...

Sarfaraz Khan marks India return with Instagram post alongside father Naushad

New Delhi: Sarfaraz Khan marked his return to the Indian Test squad by sharing a picture of himself in the team’s training kit alongside his father and former club cricketer...

Read Previous

UPT20: Yuvraj Singh stars with 91 as Kashi Rudras seal thrilling win against Kanpur Superstars

Read Next

After villagers attack team, CJP gives Rajasthan education minister 48-hour ultimatum

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com