Large protest held in Japan against Takaichi govt’s ‘distorted view of history’, ‘dangerous moves’

Tokyo: Tens of thousands of Japanese citizens gathered in front of the National Diet Building in Tokyo to protest a series of dangerous moves by the government of Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi, including its distorted view of history and push toward military expansion.

 

According to organisers, about 15,000 people took part in the demonstration in person, while another 25,000 joined online on Wednesday evening. One of the themes of the rally was: “Politicians who refuse to reflect on the war and confront Japan’s history of aggression should step down immediately.”

Protesters held banners reading “Oppose military expansion” and chanted slogans including “Defend the pacifist Constitution” and “Takaichi, step down now.”

Mizuho Fukushima, leader of Japan’s Social Democratic Party, said in an interview that Takaichi made no mention of “reflection” on Japan’s past wars of aggression at the national memorial service for the war dead on August 15, reports Xinhua news agency.

She also criticised Takaichi’s ambiguous remarks on the country’s Three Non-Nuclear Principles earlier this month at the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombing commemorations, saying Takaichi failed to clearly state that Japan would continue to uphold the principles. “This is a very serious issue,” she said.

Kiyomasa Komesu, a protester from the southern island prefecture of Okinawa, said the Takaichi government is pursuing a course of military expansion, adding that Japan’s current policies show “a strong belligerent streak.”

Another protester, who gave his name as Sakuma, said he opposes the series of measures recently taken by the Japanese government, including the establishment of a national intelligence agency, warning that “the sound of war is approaching.”

Kojima, a teacher who travelled from Kanagawa Prefecture to attend the rally, said she is deeply concerned that even some ordinary Japanese companies are shifting funds and resources toward areas such as drones and weapons.

The Takaichi government has recently accelerated its military buildup, continuing to increase defence spending, easing restrictions on exports of lethal weapons, pushing ahead with the deployment of intermediate- and long-range missiles, expanding offensive military capabilities, and seeking to revise Japan’s pacifist Constitution.

At the same time, Takaichi herself has repeatedly avoided clarifying whether Japan will continue to uphold the Three Non-Nuclear Principles. These developments have continued to fuel concern among Japanese peace groups and citizens.

IANS

 

J&K an ‘important part’ of India, US will reconsider travel advisories: Envoy Gor

Srinagar: US Ambassador to India, Sergio Gor, who arrived in Srinagar on Wednesday on his maiden visit to Jammu and Kashmir, said that the United States will reconsider advisories on...

US sanctions ICC chief, vows wider campaign

Washington: The United States imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court’s president and a senior trial lawyer, widening the Trump administration’s campaign against the tribunal and threatening further measures to...

Nine killed as massive fire breaks out at hotel in Kolkata

Kolkata: At least nine persons, including a child and a woman, were killed as a major fire broke out at a hotel on Mirza Ghalib Street in central Kolkata early...

July 20 protest: SC to form panel to probe ‘police excesses’ against students

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday announced its decision to constitute a high-powered fact-finding committee to scan CCTV footage of the students’ march from Jantar Mantar towards Parliament on...

Moscow suffers biggest Ukrainian drone attack in 2 years

Moscow: Moscow came under the largest Ukrainian drone attack in two years, with 620 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) targeting the Russian capital, Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin said on Tuesday.  ...

Students end hunger strike as Jharkhand govt cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams; agitation continues over CBI probe

Ranchi: Four students, including student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, ended their hunger strike on Tuesday after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of all examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Staff...

‘Hugging world leaders is not foreign policy’: Rahul Gandhi targets PM Modi

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Thursday mocked Prime Minister Narendra Modi's foreign policy, questioning what he described as an excessive focus on personal ties with world leaders.  ...

Trump leaves door open to election emergency, says stranger things have happened

Washington: President Donald Trump appeared to leave open the possibility of declaring a national security emergency to impose voter identification and citizenship requirements ahead of the US midterm elections. “Stranger...

Tamil Thaai Vazhthu to be sung first at all official events in Tamil Nadu

Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government has directed that Tamil Thaai Vazhthu, the official State song, must be rendered first at all government, public and educational functions across the State. A...

Justice Varma cash row: Panel rejects his defence, finds charges proved

New Delhi: A three-member inquiry committee constituted by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla has found all three charges against former Delhi High Court judge Justice Yashwant Varma proved in connection...

Veteran White House reporter breaks 26-year silence on Clinton’s 2000 Pakistan decoy plane

Washington: A veteran White House reporter has broken a 26-year silence to reveal that the Clinton administration briefed journalists before using a decoy aircraft during the US president’s high-risk visit...

Trump says he would ‘love to run’ for another term in 2028 despite legal hurdle

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that he would “love to run” for another term in 2028 but acknowledged that the law presents a formidable barrier to such a bid....

Read Previous

Calcutta HC rebukes bank authorities for freezing Abhishek Banerjee’s accounts

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com