Students end hunger strike as Jharkhand govt cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams; agitation continues over CBI probe

Ranchi: Four students, including student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, ended their hunger strike on Tuesday after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of all examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) and TDPL. However, the JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum has announced that its agitation will continue over its demand for a CBI probe into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

The four protesters, Devendra Nath Mahto, Umm-e-Habiba, Prem Nayak and Kush Mahto, ended their hunger strike at around 1.15 a.m. at Ranchi Sadar Hospital after the state government’s decision. Ministers Deepika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari offered them juice to formally end the fast.

Speaking after ending his hunger strike, Mahto said, “Today, on the 16th day of our hunger strike, we ended our fast in a dignified manner. With the joint initiative of Jharkhand Health Minister Irfan Ansari, Minister Deepika Pandey and our MLA Jairam Mahto, we decided to suspend our hunger strike. All the demands for which we had been protesting constitutionally and peacefully have been fulfilled…”

JLKM president Jairam Kumar Mahato also welcomed the government’s decision, calling it historic. “I would undoubtedly thank the government. This is a historic decision, as the CGL examination process had already reached the joining stage. Despite this, the government respected the sentiments of the students…” he said.

The decision to cancel all examinations conducted by JSSC-CGL and TDPL was taken at a special Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday.

The announcement triggered celebrations among students protesting at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium. Despite heavy rain, protesters embraced each other, distributed sweets, raised slogans and celebrated with colours and fireworks. They described the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination as a major victory after 24 days of agitation.

However, the students made it clear that their movement has not ended completely. Their key pending demand is a CBI investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum spokesperson Ravindra Paswan said the government had accepted their most important demand by cancelling the examinations, but no decision had yet been taken on the CBI probe. He said the agitation would continue until there was clarity on the issue.

Student leader Piyush Kumar termed the government’s decision the “first major victory” but said several issues, including the 11th to 13th JPSC Civil Services Examination, remain unresolved. The protesters will review the government’s decision and official notification before deciding their next course of action.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren had earlier said the SIT and CID investigations into the JSSC-CGL matter had revealed several important and startling facts, including indications of alleged collusion among different agencies.

The government has also decided to conduct a comprehensive enquiry into recruitment examinations conducted by the JPSC and JSSC since 2014. In addition, a committee headed by IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has been constituted to recommend reforms to make the examination process more transparent and prevent irregularities in the future.

IANS

Trump says Iran unwilling to agree to deal he considers necessary

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that Tehran wants to reach an agreement with Washington but is unwilling to accept the kind of deal he considers necessary, as a 60-day...

‘Hugging world leaders is not foreign policy’: Rahul Gandhi targets PM Modi

New Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Thursday mocked Prime Minister Narendra Modi's foreign policy, questioning what he described as an excessive focus on personal ties with world leaders.  ...

Trump leaves door open to election emergency, says stranger things have happened

Washington: President Donald Trump appeared to leave open the possibility of declaring a national security emergency to impose voter identification and citizenship requirements ahead of the US midterm elections. “Stranger...

Tamil Thaai Vazhthu to be sung first at all official events in Tamil Nadu

Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government has directed that Tamil Thaai Vazhthu, the official State song, must be rendered first at all government, public and educational functions across the State. A...

Justice Varma cash row: Panel rejects his defence, finds charges proved

New Delhi: A three-member inquiry committee constituted by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla has found all three charges against former Delhi High Court judge Justice Yashwant Varma proved in connection...

Veteran White House reporter breaks 26-year silence on Clinton’s 2000 Pakistan decoy plane

Washington: A veteran White House reporter has broken a 26-year silence to reveal that the Clinton administration briefed journalists before using a decoy aircraft during the US president’s high-risk visit...

Trump says he would ‘love to run’ for another term in 2028 despite legal hurdle

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that he would “love to run” for another term in 2028 but acknowledged that the law presents a formidable barrier to such a bid....

Air India Phuket-Delhi turbulence incident: Pilot tests positive in confirmatory drug test

New Delhi: The pilot-in-command of an Air India flight that experienced a sudden loss of altitude of around 300 feet on its way from Phuket to Delhi last week reportedly...

US judge dismisses Adani fraud charges

Washington:A US judge has dismissed criminal fraud charges against Indian billionaire Gautam Adani after the Justice Department abandoned the prosecution. US District Judge Nicholas Garaufis on Monday dismissed with prejudice...

Trump smuggled out of Air Force 1 in food cart to military jet in Turkey to evade threat: Report

New York: US President Donald Trump was put in a food truck after he boarded Air Force 1 in Turkey and smuggled to a military jet to take him to...

Iran says Strait of Hormuz will not reopen until US continues naval blockade

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said on Monday that the Strait of Hormuz will not reopen until the US continues its naval blockade against Iran, local media reported....

Former JPSC Chairman L Khiangte arrested in exam irregularities case amid protest

Ranchi: In a major development in the investigation into alleged irregularities and a merit scam in the Jharkhand Public Service Commission's (JPSC) 14th Civil Services Preliminary Examination, the state police's...

Read Previous

Trump says Iran unwilling to agree to deal he considers necessary

Read Next

‘Let me die in peace’: CBI chargesheet reconstructs Twisha Sharma’s final 90 minutes

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com