Iran’s President says 6-billion-USD frozen funds in Qatar to be released

Tehran: Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Monday that frozen Iranian assets worth 6 billion US dollars currently held in Qatar will be released and returned to the country, according to the official news agency IRNA.

He made the remarks during a meeting with a senior cleric in the central province of Qom, while elaborating on the achievements of a recently signed peace Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Iran and the United States, Xinhua news agency reported.

Pezeshkian put the total amount of the country’s frozen assets in Qatar at 12 billion US dollars, stressing that necessary follow-ups were being taken to return the remaining funds to the country.

Describing the MoU as “a great victory” for the Iranian people, he noted that sanctions on Iran’s petrochemical and oil exports have been lifted within the agreement’s framework.

Pezeshkian also said the United States eventually compelled Israel to accept the peace MoU, although Israel and certain other groups are still opposed to the agreement’s implementation.

He reiterated Iran’s positions on its nuclear activities, saying that the country does not seek to develop nuclear weapons, and its nuclear activities will be in accordance with its needs and within the framework of its declared policies.

On June 18, Iran and the United States signed the MoU on ending the war in the region on all fronts, including Lebanon. Under the MoU, the two sides have agreed to hold negotiations within 60 days to reach a final agreement.

Earlier in the day, the United States and Iran had agreed to pause mutual attacks “for now” and hold talks on Tuesday in Doha, the capital of Qatar, to work out their dispute over the Strait of Hormuz, US media outlet Axios reported.

The two sides will stand down “for now” and “vessels can move freely” as technical talks are set to continue, a US official was quoted as saying.

The Tuesday talks were originally set to be held in Switzerland and focused on Iran’s nuclear program. However, renewed tensions in the Strait of Hormuz prompted the talks to be moved to Doha, shifting the focus to shipping security in the strategic waterway.

IANS

 

FIFA WC: Argentina’s late fightback eliminates England, sets up Spain showdown

Atlanta: Holders Argentina staged a stunning late fightback with goals from Enzo Fernandez and Lautaro Martinez to defeat England 2-1 and advance to the FIFA World Cup 2026 final. Argentina...

Security tied to maintaining our ‘arrangements’ in Hormuz, won’t allow enemy to impose its will: Iran

Tehran: Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf has said the country's national security is tied to maintaining "Iranian arrangements" in the administration of the Strait of Hormuz, stressing that Tehran...

US hits Iran, resumes Hormuz blockade

Washington: The United States carried out a seven-hour wave of strikes against dozens of Iranian military targets near the Strait of Hormuz and along Iran’s coast hours after resuming a...

Mob attacks Assam Rifles camp in Manipur’s Senapati to thwart anti-militant operation; damages vehicles

Imphal: An unruly mob attacked an Assam Rifles camp in Manipur's Senapati town, resorting to stone-pelting, arson and vandalism in an apparent attempt to obstruct a security operation against armed...

Met Sheikh Hasina in 2014, explained importance of credible elections, says SY Quraishi

New Delhi: Former Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) S.Y. Quraishi on Tuesday recalled his meetings with former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, saying he had discussed with her the importance of...

India summons Iranian diplomats after strike kills Indian sailor in Hormuz waters

New Delhi: India on Tuesday summoned the Iranian diplomats, including Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM) Mohammad Javad Hosseini, following the latest attack on United Arab Emirates (UAE) merchant vessels in...

Have been long-standing partner of Palestine: India reaffirms continued support to two state solution

Brussels: India has reaffirmed its continued support for a two-state solution, as well as for Palestine’s membership of the United Nations (UN), at the Second Ministerial Meeting of the Palestine...

Trump says US will take over Hormuz, become its ‘guardian angel’

Washington: US President Donald Trump on Monday said that the United States would take control of the Strait of Hormuz and could permanently oversee its security after accusing Iran of...

Kuwait condemns attacks on its Basra Consulate, urges Iraq to act against perpetrators

Kuwait City: Condemning the ongoing attacks on its Consulate General in Iraq’s Basra, Kuwait on Monday questioned the efforts being made by the country's government to fulfill its international obligations...

Irresponsible to blame Iran while failing to hold aggressors accountable, says Tehran on UN stance

Tehran: Iran has condemned the statement by the United Nations on the military escalations in the region, framing recent Iranian strikes on US bases in Bahrain and Kuwait as lawful...

27 killed, dozens injured in deadly Bangkok pub fire

Bangkok: A fire at a pub near Lat Phrao Road in Bangkok's Chatuchak district killed 27 people and injured dozens of others, Thai media reported. The fire broke out at...

CM Omar Abdullah claims 2022 delimitation done for BJP-led Centre’s ‘backdoor rule’

Jammu: Launching a scathing attack on the BJP-ruled Central government, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah claimed on Sunday that the delimitation process was done for ‘backdoor rule’. Addressing...

Read Previous

Bengal govt announces committee headed by retired SC judge to prepare blueprint for UCC

Read Next

Anand to step aside as FIDE Deputy President; Prez Dvorkovich seeks third term

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com