Trump says US was an hour away from striking Iran, action paused after allies’ appeal

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that the United States was “an hour away” from launching military action against Iran before regional partners urged him to pause, as he defended his administration’s hardline stance against Tehran acquiring a nuclear weapon.

Speaking to reporters during a visit to the construction site of a new White House ballroom and security complex, Trump said Gulf allies had asked for additional time for diplomacy.

“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump said. “We were all set to go. The boats, the ships are all loaded, they’re loaded to the brim, and we’re all set to start.”

Trump said he later received calls from regional leaders saying they believed Iran was “being reasonable” in negotiations.

“They called up, they had heard I made the decision, they said, sir, could you give us a couple more days because we think they’re being reasonable,” he said.

The President indicated that the diplomatic window would remain brief.

“Well, I’m saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday something, maybe early next week. A limited period of time. Because we can’t let them have a nuclear weapon,” Trump said.

Trump repeatedly argued that Iran posed an existential threat to the Middle East if allowed to obtain nuclear capability.

“If they had a nuclear weapon, they would start with Israel, they would blow it up and they would blow it up fast,” he said. “They’d go after Saudi Arabia, they’d go after Kuwait, they’d go after UAE, they’d go after Qatar.”

“It would be nuclear holocaust,” Trump added. “And there’s no question in my mind that they’d use it.”

The remarks came as Trump toured the site of a massive new White House ballroom project that he described as both a ceremonial venue and a military-grade security structure. Trump said the project, funded by himself and private donors, would feature “drone proof” capabilities and extensive underground military facilities.

During the exchange with reporters, Trump also said Iran’s military capabilities had been severely degraded.

“Their missiles are 82 per cent gone, we estimate,” he said. “Their Navy is completely gone; their Air Force is completely gone.”

Trump added that Chinese President Xi Jinping had assured him Beijing was not supplying weapons to Tehran.

“President Xi has promised me that he’s not sending any weapons to Iran,” Trump said. “That’s a beautiful promise. I take him at his word.”

The President said regional powers including Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE, Kuwait and Bahrain were coordinating with Washington on negotiations involving Iran.

“We are negotiating together,” Trump said. “Israel has been a great partner.”

Trump also criticised Democrats opposing his Iran policy, calling them “Dumbocrats” and accusing them of undermining negotiations.

“I’m in the middle of a negotiation, I’m saying you cannot have a nuclear weapon,” he said. “They want to stop Trump from, if he has to, giving them another slap.”

Asked whether military action would be politically risky, Trump dismissed concerns.

“Whether it’s popular or not popular I have to do it, because I’m not going to let the world be blown up on my watch,” he said.

The comments marked one of Trump’s strongest public suggestions yet that direct US military action against Iran was actively under consideration.

IANS

 

Thousands rally in Tokyo against Takaichi government’s push to revise pacifist constitution

Tokyo: Thousands of demonstrators gathered in front of Japan's National Diet Building in Tokyo to protest the government's attempts to undermine the country's pacifist constitution through constitutional revision and military...

Trump says Iran ‘wants to make deal so badly’

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that Iran “wants to make a deal so badly” after recent American military strikes, while claiming Tehran’s military infrastructure had been largely destroyed and...

Reports by ignorant NGOs: India rebuts Norwegian journalist’s question on press freedom, human rights

Oslo: India strongly pushed back against questions raised by a Norwegian journalist on press freedom and human rights, stating that Delhi guarantees fundamental rights to all citizens and also provides...

Trump pauses Iran strike amid diplomatic push by Gulf nations

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that he postponed a planned military strike on Iran after urgent appeals from Gulf leaders seeking more time for diplomacy, signalling a possible opening...

23-year-old councillor becomes youngest Indian-origin Mayor in UK

London: A 23-year-old councillor, Tushar Kumar, has created history by becoming the youngest Indian-origin mayor in the United Kingdom after being appointed mayor of Elstree and Borehamwood. Originally hailing from...

Container truck rams wedding party vehicle on Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway, 12 killed

Palghar (Maharashtra): At least 12 people were killed and more than 35 others injured after a container truck collided with a vehicle carrying wedding guests on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad National Highway...

NEET-UG 2026 leak: CBI arrests Latur coaching institute’s owner as 10th accused

New Delhi: A Latur-based coaching institute’s director, Shivaraj Motegaonkar, was arrested by the CBI in the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, taking the total number of arrests in the case...

Netanyahu, Trump discuss possible renewed fighting against Iran over phone

Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump discussed the possibility of renewing fighting against Iran over phone, Israel's state-owned Kan TV news reported. The broadcaster, citing...

Lack of understanding: India rebuts questions on press freedom, minority rights during PM’s Netherlands visit

The Hague: India strongly pushed back against questions relating to “press freedom” and “minority rights” during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands, as senior diplomat Sibi George delivered...

‘Calm before storm’: Trump’s warning sparks alarm over possible Iran strikes, signals escalation in Middle East

Washington: US President Donald Trump issued a veiled warning over rising tensions in the Middle East, posting an AI-generated image and message that read, “It was the calm before the...

Massive fire on Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express in Kota; all passengers rescued

Kota: A massive fire broke out in one of the coaches of the Rajdhani Express in Rajasthan's Kota early on Sunday morning. No one was injured in the incident, officials...

India declares ‘null and void’ another IWT award by ‘illegally constituted’ CoA

New Delhi: India on Saturday rejected the latest award issued by the "illegally constituted" Court of Arbitration (CoA) - purportedly constituted under the Indus Waters Treaty (IWT) 1960 - as...

Read Previous

California wildfire puts over 17,000 residents under evacuation order

Read Next

India criticises record-keeping of negotiations for UNSC reforms

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com