Trump pauses Iran strike amid diplomatic push by Gulf nations

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that he postponed a planned military strike on Iran after urgent appeals from Gulf leaders seeking more time for diplomacy, signalling a possible opening in high-stakes negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.

At a White House healthcare event, Trump said the United States had been prepared to launch a “very major attack” on Iran as early as Tuesday, but he agreed to delay military action following requests from leaders in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

“Well, other countries have come to me and they said we were getting ready to do a very major attack tomorrow,” Trump told reporters. “I’ve put it off for a little while, hopefully, maybe forever.”

Trump said Gulf leaders believed negotiations with Tehran were “getting very close to making a deal”. He added that the United States had already informed Israel and regional allies about the delay.

“I was asked by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and some others if we could put it off for 2 or 3 days, a short period of time, because they think that they are getting very close to making a deal,” he said. “If we can do that where there’s no nuclear weapon going into the hands of Iran, I think, and if they’re satisfied, we will be probably satisfied also.”

The President stressed that Washington remained prepared for military action if diplomacy failed.

“We cannot let Iran have a nuclear weapon,” Trump said. “If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them I’d be very happy.”

Trump also claimed recent military operations had severely weakened Iran’s armed forces and leadership structure.

“We’ve totally destroyed their military,” he said. “Their leaders are gone at the first level.”

According to Axios, Trump ordered Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth and military commanders to remain ready for a “full-scale assault” if talks collapse.

The latest developments follow months of escalating tensions between Washington and Tehran over Iran’s nuclear programme and regional military activity. Gulf nations, many hosting American military facilities, have increasingly voiced concern that a wider conflict could destabilise the region and threaten global energy supplies.

IANS

 

23-year-old councillor becomes youngest Indian-origin Mayor in UK

London: A 23-year-old councillor, Tushar Kumar, has created history by becoming the youngest Indian-origin mayor in the United Kingdom after being appointed mayor of Elstree and Borehamwood. Originally hailing from...

Container truck rams wedding party vehicle on Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway, 12 killed

Palghar (Maharashtra): At least 12 people were killed and more than 35 others injured after a container truck collided with a vehicle carrying wedding guests on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad National Highway...

NEET-UG 2026 leak: CBI arrests Latur coaching institute’s owner as 10th accused

New Delhi: A Latur-based coaching institute’s director, Shivaraj Motegaonkar, was arrested by the CBI in the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, taking the total number of arrests in the case...

Netanyahu, Trump discuss possible renewed fighting against Iran over phone

Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump discussed the possibility of renewing fighting against Iran over phone, Israel's state-owned Kan TV news reported. The broadcaster, citing...

Lack of understanding: India rebuts questions on press freedom, minority rights during PM’s Netherlands visit

The Hague: India strongly pushed back against questions relating to “press freedom” and “minority rights” during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands, as senior diplomat Sibi George delivered...

‘Calm before storm’: Trump’s warning sparks alarm over possible Iran strikes, signals escalation in Middle East

Washington: US President Donald Trump issued a veiled warning over rising tensions in the Middle East, posting an AI-generated image and message that read, “It was the calm before the...

Massive fire on Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express in Kota; all passengers rescued

Kota: A massive fire broke out in one of the coaches of the Rajdhani Express in Rajasthan's Kota early on Sunday morning. No one was injured in the incident, officials...

India declares ‘null and void’ another IWT award by ‘illegally constituted’ CoA

New Delhi: India on Saturday rejected the latest award issued by the "illegally constituted" Court of Arbitration (CoA) - purportedly constituted under the Indus Waters Treaty (IWT) 1960 - as...

In a historic move, Nepal forms Ministry for Gender and Sexual Minorities

  Kathmandu: Nepal has, for the first time, established a ministry explicitly recognising sexual minorities, as the country continues its march toward liberal policies for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender,...

Israel, Lebanon to extend ceasefire for 45 days: US State Department

  Washington: Israel and Lebanon have agreed to a 45-day extension of their ceasefire that took effect last month, a spokesperson for the US State Department has said. "The April...

Strait of Hormuz open to all except hostile countries: Iranian FM Araghchi

New Delhi: Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi on Friday said that the Strait of Hormuz remains open to all vessels, except for those belonging to countries engaged in a...

US Congressman urges Trump to publicly disclose any China-linked financial interests

  Washington:Indian-American Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi has demanded that President Donald Trump publicly disclose any China-linked financial interests involving himself, his family, or senior administration officials as Trump meets Chinese President...

Read Previous

US clears $428.2 million military support package for India covering Apache helicopters, M777 Howitzers

Read Next

Vance links US factory revival to China challenge

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com