Row escalates as organiser moves police against actress Mimi Chakraborty, seeks Rs 20 lakh

Kolkata: Event organiser Tanay Shastri on Saturday lodged a formal police complaint against Bengali actress and former Trinamool Congress MP Mimi Chakraborty, escalating a legal feud that began with a Rs 20 lakh defamation notice.

Shastri, who recently spent 14 days in judicial custody following a harassment charge by the actress, is now seeking a public apology and the return of a Rs 2.65 lakh performance fee, alleging that Chakraborty’s “false” accusations have caused significant reputational damage.

The complaint has been lodged at the Bangaon Police Station in North 24 Parganas district, two days after Shastri served her a defamation notice.

Speaking to local media on Saturday, event organiser Tanay Shastri said, “Mimi Chakraborty came to perform at our club and took a fee of Rs 2.65 lakh. I have demanded that the money be returned as she did not come at the scheduled time. Because of her complaint, my reputation has been damaged. The actress will have to come and apologise in public. With that demand, I went to the superintendent of police’s office and filed a written complaint at the Bangaon police station against her.”

Shastri further claimed, “We did not disrespect Mimi Chakraborty on stage. I had to spend 14 days in judicial custody because of her false case against me. I have sought justice from the court and the government.”

On Thursday, Shastri said that a legal notice had been sent to Chakraborty asking her to pay Rs 20 lakh as compensation or face legal action. Chakraborty has not issued any official statement on the latest development.

Shastri told reporters, “She has defamed me without any reason. For this, I have demanded Rs 20 lakh from the actress. If she does not tender an apology or pay the money, the defamation case will be filed in court in the next two or three days. This is just the beginning. I will see it through to the end.”

Last month, Chakraborty had travelled to perform at an event organised by Shastri in Bongaon in the North 24 Parganas district, where she was the final performer of the night.

Chakraborty alleged that Shastri removed her from the stage midway through the performance, as it was midnight and he did not have permission for the event to continue beyond that time. She subsequently filed a police complaint accusing him of harassment.

Shastri filed a counter-complaint, claiming that Chakraborty did not arrive for the performance at the specified time and that he had requested her to leave the stage, denying any harassment.

The police later visited his residence to investigate the matter, during which he allegedly obstructed the officers. Shastri and two associates were arrested on charges of harassment and obstruction of police duty, with a case registered under a non-bailable section. After spending more than a week in judicial custody, he was granted bail on February 11.

With Shastri now pursuing a defamation claim against Chakraborty, the dispute appears set to enter a fresh legal phase.

IANS

 

Big twist in Sadhvi Prem Baisa death case as FSL report rules out poisoning

Jaipur: In a significant development in the mysterious death of Sadhvi Prem Baisa, the State Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) has submitted its viscera examination report to the police, ruling out...

CJ Roy death case: SIT finds no evidence of alleged harassment by I-T Department

Kochi/Bengaluru: The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the death of Confident Group Chairman C. J. Roy has found no evidence to support allegations that Income Tax Department officials harassed or...

Five members of a family found dead in Mathura, police suspect mass suicide

Mathura: Five members of a family were found dead in a village under the Mahavan police station area of Uttar Pradesh’s Mathura district, police officials said on Tuesday. Police suspect...

Tensions flare in Varanasi’s Dal Mandi as demolition drive triggers protests

Varanasi:Protests broke out in Uttar Pradesh's Varanasi on Monday after demolition work began in the Dal Mandi area as part of a road widening project, with the situation turning tense...

Two arrested in Meghalaya coal mine explosion case

Shillong:In a significant development in the East Jaintia Hills coal mine tragedy, police have arrested two persons believed to be the owners of the illegal coal mine where a powerful...

Patna Police make sensational revelations in NEET aspirant’s death case

Patna: In the case of the suspicious death of a student preparing for the NEET examination in Patna, the Patna Police have made several significant revelations, giving a fresh twist...

IIT-Bombay student from Rajasthan dies after falling from hostel terrace; suicide suspected

Jaipur: A 21-year-old student from Rajasthan died after falling from the hostel terrace at the IIT-Bombay campus in the wee hours of Wednesday. The student, identified as Naman Agarwal, was...

Three girls die by jumping from 9th floor in UP’s Ghaziabad, father suspects ‘Korean game task’

Ghaziabad: Three minor sisters allegedly died by suicide after jumping from the ninth floor of a residential building in Ghaziabad. Police have also recovered a suicide note in which the...

Chhattisgarh: Communal violence in Gariaband district leaves several cops injured; situation under control

  Raipur/Gariaband:Tension prevailed in Dutkaiyan village under Fingeshwar police station in Gariaband district, Chhattisgarh, following violent clashes between two communities on Sunday evening that left several cops injured. With heavy...

Kashmiri shawl seller recalls horror of assault in Uttarakhand; accused held after J&K CM’s intervention

Sirmaur (Himachal Pradesh), Jan 31 (IANS) Tabish, a 17-year-old boy on Saturday recalled the horror of the assault he endured in Uttarakhand, when a shopkeeper attacked him late at night...

Four migrant workers from Assam found dead at labour shed in Bengaluru

Bengaluru: Four young migrant workers from Assam were found dead under suspicious circumstances at Mutsandra village in Hoskote taluk on the outskirts of Bengaluru on Saturday. The incident has triggered...

ED arrests RCOM ex-chief Punit Garg in Rs 40,000 crore bank fraud case

New Delhi: The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) has arrested Punit Garg, ex-Director of Reliance Communications (RCOM) Ltd, under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) in the over Rs 40,000...

Read Previous

US trade gap widens; India deficit at $58bn

Read Next

B’desh observes Language Martyrs’ Day; PM Tarique Rahman unveils commemorative stamps

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com