‘Challenge’ for us to take on England’s ‘unbelievable’ batting line-up, says Hazlewood

New Delhi: Australia pacer Josh Hazlewood believes that England’s “unbelievable” batting line-up will be a “challenge” for the home side in the upcoming Ashes.

England’s batting unit features the likes of No. 2 Test batter Harry Brook, who is one spot behind his veteran teammate Joe Root. The English team recently played out a 2-2 draw against India in the five-Test Anderson-Tendulkar Trophy in the lead-up to the Ashes.

Brook will be embarking on his first Test tour of Australia. During his previous visit in 2022, he played nine T20Is but managed a highest score of just 20. His first-class experience in Australian conditions is limited to a single appearance for England Lions in 2021, making his adaptation crucial to the team’s success. Equally important will be the performance of Root, who has yet to register a Test century in Australia and averages 35.68 from 14 matches there.

“England has obviously been quite flat wickets recently, the last few years, and it’s been a really dry summer as well, so they are probably starting to get tired and spin now,” Hazlewood said.

“I think (Brook) will adapt. He’s a good player. He’s at the top of the rankings for a reason, and he’ll be a tough challenge. When (Root) first came out, it was a little bit of a different attack. It was probably (Mitchell) Johnson and (Ryan) Harris and (Peter) Siddle. Gaz (Nathan Lyon) has been around a long time now, so he was probably there, but we sort of just jumped on the back of that.”

Hazlewood, who featured in four Tests during the 2023 Ashes, anticipates a strong challenge from England’s batting line-up. In the recent series against India, England occasionally adopted a more measured approach instead of their usual all-out aggression, though they ultimately suffered a narrow six-run defeat at The Oval. A dramatic collapse – losing 7 for 66 – was sparked by an aggressive shot from Brook shortly after he had scored a brilliant century, prompting widespread debate.

“I think a fresh face like Harry Brook might find it easier. There’s no baggage behind him and he can just come out and play with freedom as he does. Joe’s probably in the form of his life as well. So they’re an unbelievable batting line, to be honest. The top seven have done really well…so it’s a challenge,” Hazlewood said.

Hazlewood won’t be taking the field in September, but he’s focused on staying active and building up fitness ahead of the first Test in Perth, preferring that to a prolonged break.

“It felt like over the last 12 months, the best way for me to go about it is just keep on ticking over, keep playing, not having too long off bowling,” Hazlewood said at an event to promote Play Cricket week. “I find…getting back to that intensity and volume is quite tough for me. So if I can just keep staying up there, match intensity as long as I can, then that’s sort of the best way for me to go about it.”

“The Test (only) guys will play more than one (Shield game). They’ll probably play two or three, but everyone’s on different programs,” he said. “I used it last year and I’ve sort of found that it’s very beneficial. Time on the field, multiple spells in a day, it’s sort of hard to replicate it at training. So, to get that before a Test series is pretty pivotal, I think,” the pacer concluded.

IANS

 

Dream Sports-owned FanCode to shut sports merchandise business by October

New Delhi: FanCode, the sports content platform owned by Dream11 parent company Dream Sports, on Thursday announced that it will shut down its sports merchandise business, FanCode Shop, by October...

‘Scientist of spin bowling’: Monty Panesar hails R Ashwin

New Delhi: Former England spinner Monty Panesar has described Ravichandran Ashwin’s retirement from the Indian Premier League (IPL) as a “huge surprise”, calling the Indian off-spinner a “scientist of spin...

World Championships: Prannoy advances to Round of 32; PV Sindhu also progresses

Paris: India’s HS Prannoy successfully avoided the fate that befell compatriot Lakshya Sen, advancing to the Round of 32 in the men’s singles event at the ongoing BWF World Championships...

‘If the franchise feels there’s a role for me’: De Villiers hints at possible IPL coaching role with RCB

New Delhi: Former South African batting icon AB de Villiers has dropped a major hint about a possible return to the Indian Premier League (IPL) in a different capacity, expressing...

Sourav Ganguly named Pretoria Capitals head coach in SA20

New Delhi: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly has taken up his first coaching role after being appointed as head coach of Pretoria Capitals for the SA20 2026 season. “The Prince...

Cheteshwar Pujara announces retirement from all forms of Indian cricket

New Delhi: Veteran batter Cheteshwar Pujara on Sunday announced his retirement from all forms of Indian cricket, bringing the curtains down on a distinguished career highlighted by the art of...

Imran Tahir becomes second-oldest bowler to claim T20 five-for

North Sound: At 46 years and 148 days, Imran Tahir etched his name into the record books on Saturday by becoming the second-oldest bowler to take a five-wicket haul in...

Ito, Tjen set all-Asian meeting in US Open final qualifying round

New York: No. 3 seed Aoi Ito and fast-rising Janice Tjen set up an all-Asian matchup in the final round of US Open qualifying for a berth in the main...

Shreyas, Jitesh, Rinku and Riyan in focus ahead of India’s Asia Cup squad selection meeting

New Delhi: After continuous chatter of well over a week, the Ajit Agarkar-led selection committee is likely to meet on Tuesday to finalise India’s squad for the Men's T20 Asia...

Simpson made me a better player and made Australian cricket great, says Steve Waugh

New Delhi: Former Australia captain Steve Waugh hailed the influence of Bob Simpson, who passed away on Saturday, by saying the legendary player and coach not only made him a...

Retiring Jota’s jersey was an incredible gesture from Liverpool: Stephen Warnock

New Delhi: Former Liverpool player Stephen Warnock honoured the late Diogo Jota’s legacy and praised the club for retiring his No. 20 shirt, calling the decision ‘something that has been echoed...

Khalid Jamil signs full-time contract as Indian senior men’s team head coach

New Delhi: The All India Football Federation has confirmed that Khalid Jamil has signed a two-year contract, with an option to extend for another year, as the head coach of...

Read Previous

Govt extends import duty exemption on cotton till Dec 31

Read Next

Maha building collapse: Death toll reaches 17; Prez Murmu condoles loss of lives

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com