Wildfire rages across Israel, sparks national emergency as thousands flee

Jerusalem: A massive wildfire raging through Israel has triggered a national emergency in the nation, forcing the evacuation of thousands and casting dense plumes of smoke over Jerusalem.

Authorities have described the blaze as one of the most severe in the nation’s history, erupting on Wednesday — coinciding with Israel’s Memorial Day for fallen soldiers — and spreading swiftly due to strong winds and parched conditions.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sounded the alarm, warning that the fast-advancing fire could reach Jerusalem itself.

“This is a national emergency, not just a local one,” he said.

Emphasising the urgency, Netanyahu added, “The priority right now is defending Jerusalem,” and called for additional fire engines and the creation of firebreaks.

Scenes of chaos unfolded as the fire approached Route 1, the key highway linking Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

Authorities were forced to shut down the road, and dramatic footage shared on social media showed drivers abandoning their vehicles and fleeing on foot as flames crept closer.

Firefighters, assisted by military personnel, battled the inferno as smoke blanketed the sky.

The Israel Defense Forces said its forces were aiding in firefighting and evacuation and that aerial support was deployed to provide a real-time operational overview.

Israel’s emergency medical service, Magen David Adom (MDA), reported treating 23 people so far, including 13 hospitalised with burns and smoke inhalation. The agency warned that hundreds more remain at risk in what it described as the country’s worst wildfire in years.

Approximately 120 firefighting teams from across Israel, supported by helicopters and planes, have been deployed to contain the flames. An additional 22 teams were en route to the affected area.

Five communities have been evacuated, while others remain on high alert for possible evacuation. A portion of the Jerusalem-Tel Aviv highway remains closed.

MDA stated that medics are currently treating 12 individuals for mild smoke inhalation, including two infants. The wildfires, driven by unseasonably high temperatures of around 35 degrees Celsius and wind gusts reaching up to 70 km/h, continue to defy containment efforts.

Eyal Caspi, Commissioner of the Fire and Rescue Authority, said the national emergency plan has been activated, and the alert level raised to its highest.

“Following a situational assessment, firefighting teams were being mobilised from all districts nationwide,” he told the media, as reported by Xinhua.

Deputy Commander of the Jerusalem District Fire and Rescue Authority, Eyal Cohen, confirmed that Israel has sought international firefighting assistance from neighbouring countries.

According to state-owned Kan TV, the nations contacted include Greece, Cyprus, Croatia, and Italy.

As the wildfire rages, Memorial Day ceremonies have also been disrupted. The Defence Ministry has cancelled the official observance at the Latrun Armoured Corps Memorial and urged the public to avoid military cemeteries, where large gatherings were expected.

Israel is marking Memorial Day for fallen soldiers from sunset on April 29 to nightfall on April 30 this year.

Authorities continue to monitor the situation closely as they brace for the fire’s potential impact on Jerusalem itself, vowing to deploy every possible resource to protect lives and property.

IANS

 

Woman files sexual exploitation complaint against suspended Cong MLA Mamkootathil

  Thiruvananthapuram:  Suspended Congress MLA Rahul Mamkootathil, who had recently sought to re-establish his political presence through active participation in local body election campaigns, suffered a major setback on Thursday...

Danube Properties launches ‘Shahrukhz by Danube’ in Dubai

RIYADH: In a unique global first, Danube Properties has announced the launch of ‘Shahrukhz by Danube’, a premium commercial tower in Dubai named after Bollywood megastar Shah Rukh Khan. The...

British Defence Ministry claims interception of Russian warship, tanker off UK coast

  London:  The Royal Navy has intercepted a Russian warship and a tanker off the British coast in a shadowing operation in the past fortnight, local media quoted Britain's defence...

Would not accept any government post after retirement: Outgoing CJI Gavai

New Delhi: Outgoing Chief Justice of India (CJI) B.R. Gavai, who demits the highest judicial office of the country on November 23, categorically stated that he would not accept any...

Former Brazilian President Bolsonaro arrested for preventive custody

Brasilia: Former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro was taken into preventive custody by police in Brasilia under an order issued by the Federal Supreme Court. According to initial information provided by...

Akhilesh Yadav alleges ‘conspiracy’ to cut 50,000 votes per assembly seat under SIR in UP

Lucknow: Samajwadi Party (SP) national president Akhilesh Yadav has once again raised serious objections to the ongoing Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls in Uttar Pradesh. He has accused...

Toxic air: CAQM wants NCR govts, pvt offices to switch half of staff to work-from-home

New Delhi: As the air quality dipped in Delhi-NCR, new rules bringing some stringent restrictions from the GRAP-IV stage under GRAP-III were notified by the CAQM, suggesting work-from-home for half...

Trump Jr grooves with Ranveer Singh at lavish Udaipur wedding as JLo, Bieber join celebrations

Jaipur: The royal wedding festivities in Udaipur, on Saturday, turned into a star-studded spectacle as Donald Trump Jr., son of the US President Donald Trump, danced alongside top celebrities at...

Yogi govt unveils major action plan to curb air pollution in NCR-UP

Lucknow: The Yogi Adityanath government has rolled out a comprehensive action plan to tackle worsening air pollution in the Uttar Pradesh region of the National Capital Region (NCR). The plan...

BJP claims Rs 4,000 crore ‘scam’ in Chennai corporation tender extension

Chennai: BJP leader K. Annamalai has accused the Greater Chennai Corporation of illegally extending the deadline for a massive waste collection contract worth Rs 4,000 crore, claiming the move was...

Week after Bihar results, RJD cries foul as its 3 candidates lose by thin margin

Patna: RJD spokesperson Ejaz Ahmed has accused the Election Commission of India (ECI) of influencing the outcome of the Bihar Assembly elections by rejecting a large number of postal ballots...

Read Previous

Time to awaken Maharashtra Dharma: Shiv Sena(UBT)’s Saamana

Read Next

4 UAE-based companies with India trade links sanctioned by US for trading Iran petroleum products

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com