Venezuela quake death toll rises to 2,954, with 16,592 injured

Caracas: The death toll from the two earthquakes that struck Venezuela last week has risen to 2,954, and 16,592 others were injured, National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez said.

In a message on his Telegram channel, Rodriguez on Saturday said 6,462 people had been rescued after the disaster hit the central states of Aragua, Miranda and La Guaira, as well as the western states of Carabobo, Yaracuy and Falcon.

The update said 16,209 people were without housing, while 856 buildings had been damaged and 190 structures had collapsed, reports Xinhua news agency.

Authorities have also set up 80 temporary camps to assist displaced and affected people.

According to Saturday’s update, 29,567 rescuers remain deployed to search for survivors, including 3,281 from abroad.

Since the magnitude 7.2 and 7.5 earthquakes struck on June 24, Venezuela has recorded 942 aftershocks, the statement said.

Meanwhile, Venezuela’s acting president Delcy Rodriguez earlier declared seven days of national mourning in tribute to the victims of the powerful earthquakes that struck the country on June 24.

“In honour of the memory of the victims, I have decided to decree National Mourning for seven (7) days, starting at 6:00 p.m. today,” Rodriguez wrote in a statement posted on social media on Wednesday (local time).

She said that “in these moments of profound sadness, we embrace those who suffer from this tragedy and reaffirm our commitment to accompany and protect them.”

“Venezuela’s soul is torn by the human losses caused by the devastating earthquakes,” Rodriguez added.

Two earthquakes measuring magnitude 7.5 and 7.2 struck north of Caracas last week. Authorities said that tens of thousands still missing.

Earlier on Thursday, Rodriguez has declared seven days of national mourning in tribute to the victims of the powerful earthquakes.

“In honour of the memory of the victims, I have decided to decree National Mourning for seven (7) days, starting at 6:00 p.m. today,” Rodriguez wrote in a statement posted on social media on Wednesday (local time).

IANS

Trump renews voter ID push before midterms

Washington: US President Donald Trump has renewed his demand for mandatory photo identification and proof of citizenship for voters, placing election rules at the centre of his campaign to retain...

US Commerce Department finds Indian oleoresin paprika sold below fair value, received subsidies

Washington: The US Commerce Department has determined that Indian oleoresin paprika was sold in the United States below fair value and that its producers received countervailable government subsidies, moving the...

Human rights body for equal treatment in rehbilitation of surrendered Maoists

By Naz Asghar New Delhi: While the government claims to have achieved a lot under its Maoists surrender policy, still there are many areas that need attention as has been...

Mohan Bhagwat to visit US, UK, Canada to counter propaganda against India, Hindus and RSS

Visakhapatnam: Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) Chief Mohan Bhagwat's proposed visit to the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom is to counter propaganda, misconceptions regarding India, Hindus and the Sangh,...

Telangana CM’s visit to US not given political clearance as proposed programmes not appropriate: MEA

New Delhi: The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Friday said that the Telangana Chief Minister Revanth Reddy’s US trip was denied political clearance as the programmes proposed were not...

Manipur-Assam-Nagaland bus service resumes after over three years

Imphal: After a gap of more than three years, interstate passenger bus services between Manipur, Assam and Nagaland resumed on Friday, officials said. The passenger bus services were suspended following...

Hasina calls 2004 Dhaka grenade attack one of Bangladesh’s ‘most brutal, shameful’ chapters

Dhaka: Marking the 22nd anniversary of the 2004 deadly grenade attack on an Awami League rally at Bangabandhu Avenue in Dhaka, former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina described the tragedy...

Retired Colonel, wife held under ‘digital arrest’ lose Rs 15.50 lakh; Delhi Police nab 4

New Delhi: The Cyber Police Station of Delhi's South-West District has busted an interstate cyber-fraud facilitation network involved in sophisticated digital arrest scams and arrested four accused from Punjab and...

North Korea fires barrage of short-range ballistic missiles despite Trump overture

Seoul: North Korea fired a barrage of short-range ballistic missiles toward the East Sea on Thursday, despite a recent olive branch offered by US President Donald Trump, who signalled a...

Preacher sentenced to death for sexually assaulting four minor girls in TN’s Tirunelveli

Tirunelveli: A special court in Tamil Nadu's Tirunelveli on Thursday sentenced a 50-year-old preacher to death after convicting him of sexually assaulting four minor girls who attended classes at a...

‘Matter between two nations’: J&K CM Omar Abdullah on US-Pakistan row over Sergio Gor’s remarks

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, commenting on Pakistan summoning the US envoy over US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor’s statement, said on Thursday that the ambassador had...

UNSC must not be used to legitimise terrorists by de-listing them: India

United Nations: In an implied criticism of Pakistan's role in dealing with terrorism, India has called for transparency in the Security Council listing and delisting groups as terrorist organisations, adding...

Read Previous

Former US presidents urge Americans to defend democracy

Read Next

DMK will protect minorities against divisive politics, says Udhayanidhi Stalin

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com