Pulwama plotter Hamza Burhan shot dead by unknown gunmen in PoK

New Delhi: Hamza Burhan, one of the key planners behind the Pulwama attack, was killed by unknown gunmen in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). The incident took place at Muzaffarabad in PoK, and Burhan is said to have been shot multiple times.

He was attacked and killed by unknown assailants and is said to have died instantly due to multiple gunshots.

While designating him as a terrorist in 2022, the Indian government had said, “Arjumand Gulzar Dar alias Hamza Burhan alias Doctor, aged 23 years, is a resident of Kharbatpora, Ratnipora, Pulwama, and one of the associate members of Al Badr, a terrorist outfit designated under the UAPA.”

Hamza, also known as Doctor, was born in the Ratnipora area of Pulwama in Jammu and Kashmir. He had left for Pakistan in 2017, stating that he was pursuing his higher studies. He, however, joined the terror outfit Al Badr and in quick time rose to the rank of commander.

Following his indoctrination into the Al Badr, he returned to Kashmir. He was involved in radicalising the youth and also indoctrinating them into terror groups. His work remained largely focused on South Kashmir.

During his stay in Kashmir, he managed to expand his network from Pulwama to Shopian. His death deals a major blow to the terror networks in Pakistan. He was a key player for the Pakistan-based terror groups, which carry out operations in Jammu and Kashmir.

The Pulwama terror attack is one of the deadliest incidents in India. On February 14, 2019, a convoy carrying Indian security personnel on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway was targeted in the Lethapora area of Pulwama. A suicide bomber rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into the bus within the convoy, killing 40 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel.

The attack was carried out by the Jaish-e-Mohammed, and the bomber was identified as Adil Ahmad Dar. Following this strike, the Indian Air Force retaliated by striking a Jaish-e-Mohammed training base in Balakot.

Hamza’s killing adds to the long list of terrorists being eliminated by unknown gunmen in Pakistan. In May this year, Lashkar-e-Taiba operative Farman Ali was shot dead at Muridke. In April, unknown gunmen shot dead Sheikh Yousuf Afridi, a Lashkar-e-Taiba commander in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. In the same month, the co-founder of the Lashkar-e-Taiba, Amir Hamza, was shot at by unknown gunmen in Lahore. He, however, survived the shooting.

In January, Pakistani Army Lieutenant Colonel Imran Dayal, a handler for the Pahalgam terror attack, was gunned down in Dera Ismail Khan. Jaish-e-Mohammed operative Mushtaq alias Ghazi Baba was shot dead by unidentified assailants near Peshawar in October 2025.

Last year in May, Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Razaullah Nizamani alias Abu Saifullah Khalid was shot in Matli, Sindh province. Pakistan has not released official statements on these shootings, and investigations, too, remain inconclusive.

Such incidents have been on the rise in the past two years. The targeting of top commanders and leaders has left outfits such as the Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammed struggling to regroup.

Since Operation Sindoor, both these terror groups, which were hit the hardest, have struggled to revive and also reset operations in Jammu and Kashmir. The Indian agencies had noted that such killings have demoralised these groups, and this has led to reduced recruitments.

IANS

Third accused arrested in Greater Noida dowry death case

Greater Noida: A third arrest has been made in the Greater Noida dowry death case after police apprehended the deceased's husband's cousin, officials said on Wednesday.     The arrested...

AIIMS report supports suicide angle in Twisha Sharma case

Bhopal: The All India Institute of Medical Sciences Bhopal report on the belt recovered from the scene of Twisha Sharma’s death prima facie indicates suicide, corroborating preliminary findings, Assistant Commissioner...

SC’s stray dog order draws mixed reactions from animal activists, locals, lawyers

New Delhi: The Supreme Court’s refusal to recall its earlier directions on the management of stray dogs in public places, while issuing fresh directions for stricter implementation of the Animal...

Jodhpur sisters’ suicide case: NCW takes suo motu cognisance, seeks report from Rajasthan Police

New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Tuesday took suo motu cognisance of media reports related to the alleged prolonged gang rape, blackmail, sexual exploitation and subsequent suicides...

NEET-UG 2026 leak: CBI arrests Latur coaching institute’s owner as 10th accused

New Delhi: A Latur-based coaching institute’s director, Shivaraj Motegaonkar, was arrested by the CBI in the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, taking the total number of arrests in the case...

NEET-UG paper leak case: CBI arrests Maha coaching centre director; 10th arrest in ongoing probe

New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday arrested Shivraj Raghunath Motegaonkar, director of Maharashtra-based coaching centre, in connection with the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, taking the...

NEET paper leak probe reaches Maharashtra’s Nanded as CBI conducts marathon raids, interrogation

Nanded (Maharashtra): The probe into the NEET paper leak case has now expanded to Maharashtra’s Nanded district, as a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) team carried out surprise operations as...

India makes first-ever Captagon seizure worth Rs 182 crore under ‘Operation RAGEPILL’: HM Shah

New Delhi: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Saturday said enforcement agencies have made India’s first-ever seizure of Captagon, a banned synthetic stimulant, commonly referred to as the "Jihadi Drug",...

NEET paper leak case: Key accused’s MBBS daughter goes ‘missing’ as CBI closes in

  Jaipur: The NEET paper leak scandal in Rajasthan is beginning to resemble a full-blown crime thriller, with every new revelation exposing another layer of an alleged education mafia that...

NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case: CBI arrests two more accused, total held rises to seven

New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested two more accused in connection with the alleged NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case, taking the total number of people arrested...

Red Fort bomb blast case: NIA files 7,500-page chargesheet against 10

  New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday filed a 7,500-page chargesheet against 10 accused in connection with the deadly car bomb explosion near the...

Woman gang-raped in moving bus in Delhi’s Nangloi; two arreste

  New Delhi: A woman was allegedly gang-raped inside a private bus in Delhi’s Nangloi area, Delhi Police said on Thursday, adding that a case has been registered based on...

Read Previous

SIR Phase-3: ECI releases schedule for BLO visits, publication of final voters’ list in 16 states, 3 UTs

Read Next

India closely monitoring rupee slide, measures under consideration: Piyush Goyal

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com