Canada confirms first hantavirus case

Ottawa: The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has confirmed a case of hantavirus in a cruise passenger currently isolating in British Columbia following laboratory testing.

PHAC said in a statement on Sunday that samples from British Columbia were sent to the agency’s National Microbiology Laboratory (NML) in Winnipeg for confirmatory testing.

According to the agency, one individual’s sample was confirmed positive for hantavirus on Saturday. A second individual, a travelling partner of the confirmed case, was confirmed negative, Xinhua news agency reported.

No additional cases have been identified so far. PHAC said all high-risk contacts are isolating and will continue to be closely monitored by local public health authorities, adding that the overall risk to the general population in Canada remains low at this time.

The outbreak occurred aboard the polar expedition cruise ship MV Hondius and has resulted in three deaths so far. The incubation period for hantavirus generally ranges from one to eight weeks.

Earlier, health authorities in Canada’s British Columbia province announced that a Canadian cruise passenger currently in isolation has tested presumptive positive for hantavirus

Bonnie Henry, a provincial health officer, said the patient began developing mild symptoms, including fever and headache, two days ago and was taken to a local hospital. The presumptive positive result came back on Friday and the person is currently being treated in isolation as a positive patient.

Meanwhile, the Dutch government announced earlier that the hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius is expected to arrive at the Port of Rotterdam next Monday, with most crew members set to undergo a six-week quarantine in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

“Rotterdam has been designated in the Netherlands as the port for the handling of infectious diseases in shipping,” according to a letter sent to parliament on Friday (local time) and signed by Sophie Hermans, Dutch minister of health, welfare and sport, and Tom Berendsen, the country’s foreign minister.

According to Oceanwide Expeditions, the Dutch operator of the vessel, there are currently 27 people on board, including 25 crew members and two medical personnel. The group consists of 17 Filipinos, four Dutch nationals, four Ukrainians, one Russian, and one Polish national.

IANS

 

ECI announces biennial polls for 17 Maha Legislative Council seats; voting on June 18 (Ld)

Mumbai: The Election Commission of India (ECI) on Monday announced the schedule for the long-delayed biennial elections to the Maharashtra Legislative Council (MLC) from 17 Local Authorities' Constituencies. The polling...

Unacceptable: India expresses deep concern over attack on UAE’s Barakah nuclear facility; calls for restraint, diplomacy

New Delhi: India has expressed serious concern over the reported drone strike targeting the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates, describing the incident as a dangerous escalation...

Tibetans urge Chinese Communist Party to release Panchen Lama immediately

Beijing: The International Campaign for Tibet (ICT) and Tibetans, Tibetan Buddhists and Tibet supporters around the world have urged Chinese Communist Party (CCP) to release 11th Panchem Lama immediately and...

Drones strike causes fire in UAE nuclear power plant premises

Abu Dhabi: A fire was reported in the premises of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra Region of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) after a drone strike,...

Cong leader Adhir Chowdhury writes to Bengal CM over animal slaughter notice, seeking clarity

Kolkata: Senior Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury on Sunday wrote a letter to Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari over the West Bengal government’s May 13 notice on "Animal Slaughter Guidelines", saying...

NEET paper leak probe reaches Maharashtra’s Nanded as CBI conducts marathon raids, interrogation

Nanded (Maharashtra): The probe into the NEET paper leak case has now expanded to Maharashtra’s Nanded district, as a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) team carried out surprise operations as...

Tension in Hyderabad area after two groups clash over suspicion of cattle transportation

Hyderabad: Tension prevailed in the Asif Nagar area in Hyderabad after a clash between two groups over the alleged transportation of cattle. Trouble began after a lorry was allegedly stopped...

‘Incredible India’ tourism takes spotlight in streets of Rome with popular buses

Rome: India's cultural and tourist attractions are being promoted across Rome through popular 'Hop On Hop Off' buses, the Embassy of India in Rome said. "'Incredible India' on the move...

Class IX students to study 3 languages, including 2 regional, from July 1: CBSE

New Delhi: Adopting a transitional approach to adjust the CBSE’s Scheme of Studies with the revised NCERT syllabus aligned with the NEP 2020 and National Curriculum Framework for School Education...

Delhi Cabinet cuts VAT rate on Aviation Turbine Fuel from 25 pc to 7 pc

New Delhi: The Delhi government Cabinet headed by Chief Minister Rekha Gupta has decided to reduce the VAT rate on Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF) in the National Capital Region from...

NEET case: CBI arrests NTA-appointed teacher from Pune for Biology paper leak

New Delhi: In the NEET UG 2026 exam scandal, the CBI has arrested an NTA-appointed senior Botany teacher from Pune, as she is suspected to be the co-mastermind behind the...

K Kavitha writes to PM Modi for removal of Union Minister Bandi Sanjay over POCSO case against his son

Hyderabad: Telangana Rakshana Sena President, K Kavitha, on Saturday wrote a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, seeking the immediate removal of Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Bandi...

Read Previous

Unacceptable: India expresses deep concern over attack on UAE’s Barakah nuclear facility; calls for restraint, diplomacy

Read Next

Netanyahu, Trump discuss possible renewed fighting against Iran over phone

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com