24 killed in blast targeting Jaffar Express shuttle in Pakistan’s Balochistan

Quetta: At least 24 people were killed and 82 others injured in a blast targeting a shuttle of the Jaffar Express in the country’s southwest Balochistan province on Sunday, police sources said.

The shuttle, carrying law enforcement personnel heading home for Eid holidays, had departed from Quetta Cantonment when the explosion occurred around 8:05 a.m. local time, sources told Xinhua news agency on the condition of anonymity.

Multiple bogies derailed and two caught fire following the blast, which also damaged nearby vehicles. Women and children were among the dead and injured, the sources added.

Fifty-seven of the injured were shifted to a military hospital and 25 to the Civil Hospital in Quetta.

Preliminary investigations suggested the attack was carried out using a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device packed with more than 70 kg of explosives, according to the sources.

According to local media outlet ARY News, Balochistan’s Special Assistant for Home Affairs reported that officials are currently collecting information regarding the incident, promising that more details will be released as they become available.

Authorities have put all relevant agencies on high alert following the explosion. Babar Yousafzai also advised residents to steer clear of the area while emergency operations are ongoing.

Police indicated that the explosion caused damage to nearby buildings, shattering windows and glass panes due to the force of the blast. Law enforcement teams have secured the area, and rescue operations have commenced.

Earlier this week, Section 144 was imposed in Pakistan’s Balochistan province, which the authorities have said is a precautionary measure against potential terrorist threats, local media reported.

The notification issued by the Home Department stated that the restrictions will remain in force for 30 days, including a ban on the display of weapons, double riding on motorcycles and gatherings of five or more individuals, Pakistan’s daily, The Express Tribune, reported.

IANS

France bans Israeli minister Ben-Gvir from entering country

Paris: French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot has said that Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir had been banned from entering France effective immediately. In a post on social platform X,...

Iran says Tehran, Washington working to finalise MoU on ending war

Tehran: Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran and the United States are working to finalise a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on ending the war. "At this stage, our...

Western nations release joint statement, warn Israel about policies and further entrenchment in West Bank

London: A joint statement was released by nine Western countries -- The UK, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Norway and the Netherlands on the serious situation in Israel's...

Trump administration preparing fresh round of military strikes on Iran: US media

Washington: The Trump administration is preparing for a fresh round of military strikes against Iran despite ongoing diplomatic efforts, US media reported, citing sources with direct knowledge of the planning....

In-principle understanding reached with Centre, say Ladakh groups

New Delhi: The Centre has proposed a fresh framework aimed at granting Ladakh greater legislative, financial and administrative authority within the existing Union Territory structure, according to a joint statement...

Tharoor defends ‘Cockroach Janta Party’ satire, warns against suppressing youth dissent

  New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Shashi Tharoor on Friday defended the controversial “Cockroach Janta Party” (CJP), asserting that claims portraying the movement as a Pakistani-manufactured conspiracy were “too simplistic”...

ECI announces Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats in 10 states on June 18

  New Delhi: The Election Commission of India (ECI) on Friday announced the schedule for the biennial elections to the Rajya Sabha to fill 24 seats, which are falling vacant...

Pulwama plotter Hamza Burhan shot dead by unknown gunmen in PoK

New Delhi: Hamza Burhan, one of the key planners behind the Pulwama attack, was killed by unknown gunmen in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). The incident took place at Muzaffarabad in PoK,...

TN cabinet expansion: 23 ministers inducted; two from Congress take oath

Chennai: The C. Joseph Vijay-led Tamil Nadu government on Thursday carried out its first major Cabinet expansion, inducting 23 new ministers into the Council of Ministers in a move aimed...

India and Italy have elevated ties to Special Strategic Partnership, PM Modi announces in Rome

Rome: Announcing the elevation of India-Italy ties to a 'Special Strategic Partnership', Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday said that India-Italy Joint Strategic Action Plan 2025-2029 provides a practical and...

Trump says US was an hour away from striking Iran, action paused after allies’ appeal

Washington: US President Donald Trump said that the United States was “an hour away” from launching military action against Iran before regional partners urged him to pause, as he defended...

Thousands rally in Tokyo against Takaichi government’s push to revise pacifist constitution

Tokyo: Thousands of demonstrators gathered in front of Japan's National Diet Building in Tokyo to protest the government's attempts to undermine the country's pacifist constitution through constitutional revision and military...

Read Previous

‘India one of our most important strategic partners’, says Marco Rubio after talks

Read Next

Iranian Embassy in India rejects Rubio’s allegations, blames US and ‘zionist regime’ for regional instability

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com