Pyongyang vows to restore all military measures halted under 2018 inter-Korean accord

Seoul: North Korea on Thursday said it will immediately restore all military measures halted under a 2018 inter-Korean military accord after Seoul suspended part of the tension reduction deal following Pyongyang’s launch of a military spy satellite.

The North’s Defence Ministry said it will “never be bound” by the military agreement any more, effectively scrapping the deal that calls for a series of tension reduction measures along the heavily armed border, and warned that the South must “pay dearly” for its decision, reports Yonhap News Agency.

“We will immediately restore all military measures that have been halted according to the North-South military agreement,” the Ministry said in a statement carried by the Pyongyang’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

“We will withdraw the military steps, taken to prevent military tension and conflict in all spheres including ground, sea and air, and deploy more powerful armed forces and new-type military hardware in the region along the Military Demarcation Line,” it said.

South Korea must “pay dearly for their irresponsible and grave political and military provocations that have pushed the present situation to an uncontrollable phase”, the North added.

South Korea partially suspended the 2018 inter-Korean military accord, after North Korea launched a military spy satellite, called the Malligyong-1, on a new type of Chollima-1 rocket Tuesday night.

The move allowed Seoul to immediately restore reconnaissance and surveillance operations near the border with North Korea.

The agreement, signed September 19, 2018, under the previous liberal administration of President Moon Jae-in, calls for setting up buffer zones and no-fly zones near the inter-Korean border in a bid to prevent accidental clashes between the two Koreas.

North Korea had violated the accord 17 times until end-2022, and 15 violations occurred last year alone, including five North Korean drones’ infiltration into the South in December, according to Seoul’s defense ministry.

South Korea’s Unification Ministry denounced the North Korean defense ministry’s statement as a “far-fetched” claim, and “strongly” condemned Pyongyang’s threat to deploy new weapons along the border.

IANS

UNSC expresses ‘deep concern’ over Gaza food convoy deaths, mentions Israeli forces’ ‘involvement’

United Nations: The United Nations Security Council has expressed "deep concern" over more than 100 deaths in Gaza around a humanitarian convoy and to cite the "involvement" of Israeli defence...

LS Polls: BJP releases 1st list of 195 candidates, PM Modi to contest from Varanasi

New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday announced its first list of candidates for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections. In a media briefing, BJP leader Vinod Tawde announced...

Criminals themselves decide when to get arrested in Bengal: PM Modi

Kolkata: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday launched a scathing attack against the West Bengal government over the law & order situation in the state, saying not the police but...

9,000 women killed in Gaza since October 2023: UN

New York: The UN has said that an estimated 9,000 women have been reportedly killed by Israeli forces in Gaza in the last five months of the war. Every day...

India expresses deep shock at the loss of lives in northern Gaza

New Delhi: Expressing its shock at the loss of lives in northern Gaza, India on Friday reiterated its call for safe and timely delivery of humanitarian aid and assistance in...

Bengal CM was busy protecting accused when Sandeshkhali women sought her help: PM Modi

Kolkata: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said that when the women in Sandeshkhali were desperately seeking West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's help against the atrocities by local Trinamool...

Death toll in Bangladesh building fire rises to 45

Dhaka: The death toll in the fire at a multi-storey building in Bangladesh has risen to 45, Health Minister Samanta Lal Sen said on Friday. The fire, which had broken...

India’s GDP growth surges to 8.4 per cent in Q3, 2023-24 growth rate pegged at robust 7.6 per cent

New Delhi, Feb 29 (IANS) India's economy sprang a surprise with an 8.4 per cent surge in GDP growth during the third quarter (October-December), as a result of which the...

K’taka CM accepts controversial caste census report ahead of Lok Sabha elections

Bengaluru: In a big development, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Thursday accepted the controversial Socio-Economic and Educational Survey Report, also known as the caste census. The Congress government's move is...

Myanmar declares martial law in 2 townships of eastern state

Yangon: Myanmar's State Administration Council imposed martial law in Momeik and Mabein townships in Shan state of eastern Myanmar, media reported. According to the media report, the council said on...

PM kickstarts LS polls campaign from ‘lucky Yavatmal’, slams UPA regime’s graft

Yavatmal (Maharashtra), Feb 28 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday sounded the bugle for Bharatiya Janata Party's Lok Sabha polls campaign from 'lucky Yavatmal', launched a slew of projects...

A quarter of Gaza’s population one step away from famine: UN official

Tel Aviv: A senior aid official of a UN body has warned that a quarter of the population of the war-trodden Gaza is one step away from an imminent famine....

Read Previous

Ex-West Indies cricketer Marlon Samuels banned for six years under anti-corruption code

Read Next

EC show cause notice to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi for his remarks on PM Modi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com