New Zealand bans assault, military style rifles

March 21, 2019
Sydney:  New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Thursday announced new gun laws banning all military-style semi-automatic and assault rifles.

The announcement follows the terror attack on two mosques in the southern city of Christchurch on March 15 that left at least 50 persons dead and another 50 injured, reports Efe news.

The government of New Zealand will amend the gun laws with Prime Minister Adern expecting to have the new legislation in place by April 11 and take measures to prevent the spread of hate messages on social media.

New Zealand Police published on Thursday a list of almost 30 victims of the terror attack perpetrated against the two mosques.

The list, which contains the names of 29 people, follows the first list with the names of five victims, which was published on Wednesday. One victim was identified as Mucaad Ibrahim, who, at the age of 3, is the youngest of all those killed.

The second list includes Sayyad Milne, a 14-year-old New Zealand student who was buried on Thursday in the Memorial Park Cemetery in Christchurch as well as Muhammad Haziq Mohd-Tarmizi, a 17-year-old Malaysian whose disappearance had earlier been reported.

A public burial is planned for Haji-Daoud Nabi, a 71-year-old Afghan who migrated to New Zealand in the 1970s and who saved some lives during the armed attack at the Al Noor mosque.

Abdul Azis, who has become a “hero” of the tragedy by throwing a automatic teller machine at the attacker in the Linwood mosque driving him away, received a spontaneous tribute from New Zealanders.

Flowers were placed in front of his store, while the community continues to collect money to help him and his family, according to Radio New Zealand.

Out of a total of 50 people injured, 29 are still hospitalized, of which nine remain in serious condition, including a 4-year-old girl who was transferred to Auckland on the North Island earlier this week.

New Zealand is preparing to pay tribute to the victims on Friday, one week after the attack by Australian Brenton Tarrant, aged 28, while the mosques of Al Noor and Linwood will open their doors for their usual Friday prayers.

Tarrant, the only suspect in the massacre, will appear on April 5 before the New Zealand High Court facing a charge of murder and likely more charges.

IANS

Not resigned, govt will complete full five-year term: Himachal CM

Shimla: Amid political crisis, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu on Wednesday said that he has not resigned and the Congress government would complete its full five-year term. After...

Land-for-job case: Delhi court grants regular bail to ex-Bihar CM Rabri Devi, daughters

New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday granted regular bail to former Bihar Chief Minister and RJD chief LaluPrasad's wife Rabri Devi and her daughters -- Misa Bharti and Hema...

Pasted Chinese stickers, insulted ISRO scientists: PM Modi lambasts DMK at public rally

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi came down hard on Tamil Nadu’s ruling party Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) for latter’s 'brazen' attempt to seek credit over the upcoming second space...

BJP wants to crush people’s right, says Priyanka Gandhi on Himachal crisis

Shimla: Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Wednesday slammed the BJP, saying it wants to "crush Himachal people's right to choose their government by misusing money power, central agencies”. Amidst...

Madras HC dismisses bail petition of ex-TN Minister Senthil Balaji

Chennai: The Madras High Court on Wednesday dismissed a bail petition moved by DMK leader and former Tamil Nadu Minister V. Senthil Balaji in a money laundering case. Senthil Balaji...

No question of protecting anyone if FSL report proves allegation: K’taka CM on pro-Pak slogan issue

Bengaluru: Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Wednesday said that if the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) report proves that the slogan raised in favour of Pakistan is true, serious action will be...

Israeli warplanes strike Hezbollah site in Lebanon after rocket barrage

Jerusalem, Feb 27 (IANS) Israeli warplanes carried out a strike on a Hezbollah military site in Lebanon on Tuesday, responding to a barrage of rockets launched by the armed group...

Delhi court reserves order on charges against former WFI chief in sexual harassment case

New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday reserved its order on framing of charges against BJP MP and former Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh in...

Senior journalist Ghazanfar A. Khan recognized for outstanding contributions by Nepal and Turkey

The celebrated journalist, media consultant, and social worker Ghazanfar Ali Khan has been presented with letters of appreciation by Nepal and Turkey for his outstanding contribution to journalism and for...

ED issues 8th summons to Kejriwal, asks him to appear on March 4

New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate has once again issued summons to Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal to appear before it in connection with the alleged excise policy scam case. The...

Veteran Gujarat Congress leader Naran Rathwa and son join BJP

Ahmedabad: The Gujarat Congress suffered a setback on Tuesday as its senior leader Naran Rathwa and his son Sangram Rathwa, joined the BJP along with a group of supporters. The...

Congress has lost majority in House: HP LoP

Shimla: The Congress government in Himachal Pradesh has lost the majority in the House, the Leader of Opposition (LoP) Jai Ram Thakur said on Tuesday amidst reports of cross-voting in...

Read Previous

LF contesting two Bengal LS seats held by Congress

Read Next

Etihad, Gulf Air sign codeshare deal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com