Twitter’s new owner and CEO Elon Musk posted an informal poll of the social media platform’s users on Sunday asking if he should step down as head of the company. By Monday morning, the poll ended with a majority of respondents (57.5%) calling for the billionaire to leave his post as CEO. More than 17 million users had voted by the time the poll closed on Monday morning. Significantly, Musk claimed he would abide by the results of the poll.
57.5% voted in favor of Musk relinquishing his position
Musk asked Twitter users to decide whether he should “step down as Twitter head” following a week marred by controversial policy and content decisions by the social media platform. Reacting to the poll, 57.5% of Twitter users voted “yes,” while the remaining 42.5% were of the opinion that Musk should continue as CEO.
‘Will abide by polls results’
Musk’s question has invoked differing reactions from celebrities and businessmen. Chanpeng Zhao, the CEO of crypto giant Binance, prodded Musk to continue. So did Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the nephew of former US President John F. Kennedy. Meanwhile, MrBeast, the most popular YouTuber on the planet, said that Musk should step down if he makes decisions such as prohibiting cross-linking posts, as per media reports.
The billionaire in November said, “I expect to reduce my time at Twitter and find somebody else to run Twitter over time.” On Sunday, however, he wrote in a tweet that there is no possible successor for him at the social media company, reported CNBC.
There are lots of controversies surrounding Musk. He was criticized for doing away with safeguards such as the blue “verified” checkmark and turned it from a mechanism for vetting posters. Musk reinstated controversial posters, including former President Donald Trump, and dismantled much of the “infrastructure that had guarded against misinformation and had monitored online safety”, according to New York daily. The platform made several controversial decisions within a span of a few days. It first suspended rival Mastodon, then prominent journalists, and finally banned sharing links of other social media platforms.
(With agnecies inputs)